Clear all

Locking Tuners

34 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@hiram)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I guess that's what they call them, you stick the string in, clamp it in some fashion and you only need 1 or 2 windings on the post. Does anyone make a middle of the road such tuners for an acoustic, all I've seen are high end Schallers(sp) and Grovers for electrics but none for acoustics. Secondly if they exist would I have to take one of my tuning pegs off to determine shaft size, thanks.

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Don't know any reason why you couldn't use them, though.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@hiram)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Next time I have the strings off I'll check the diameter of the holes, looking at locking tuners on the web they all are 13/32 (10mm). This will be the last thing I replce on this acoustic (already done the bone nut and saddle) I swear, can't wait untill I get an electric to tinker with (grin).

ReplyQuote
(@hiram)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

After getting an electric and having an acoustic too I decided to pursue the locking tuners on the Seagull. I figured if i screwed it up and had to take it to a tech I'd still have something to play. I saw the Wilkinson locking tuners on the Guitar Fetish site and they were fairly cheap and in the meantime a fellow on the Agile forum had a set for sale cheaper than new so I sprung for them. I might add I tried a set of locking grovers from Stew Mac beforehand but the posts were too high to let the strings rest in the nut properly.
http://store.guitarfetish.com/wiezlotu3x3f.html

The shafts on the tuners and the headstock holes were a perfect match so no problem there, the anchor holes for the base were different but they covered the old holes. I predrilled the screw holes but even then the screws were difficult to get in, that silver leaf maple is hard stuff!!!

My first (and only) instructor told that the 3-4 day string settling in is really the strings tightening on the post. I don't know if that's true but I tuned it up, played a little and put it back in the case. I usually tune both my guitars before playing but everytime I check the Seagull it's dead on. It also makes string changing less of a chore too.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I have Gotoh Magnium Lock tuners on my Kramer Standard Pro. They are neat. You stick the string in and when you start to tighten it it doesn't turn. It just closes it's jaws on the string. About 1/2 to 3/4 turn is all the string I have on each post. They stay in tune very well.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

TR, I just realized why your avatar pic looks so familiar: Back in the '60s, I used to be an avid fan of Sgt. Fury's Howling Commandos comic books. You look like Sarge, or would if you grew a week or two of stubble.
:lol:

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Probably wouldn't notice if I did Ric. My face is like the top of your head. :lol: In the pic I hav a neatly trimmed young goatee ..... best I can do I'm afraid. :? Oh PS, I don't smoke. Darn kids got me drunk and talked me into smoking a cigar. :lol: For what it's worth, yes, I puked. :oops:

See, here is a larger version.

Oh, here is the pic it came from ........

Thats my daughter's boyfriend on the left and my son on the right. Yes, we were playing beer pong also. When you hang with college students ......... well, lets just say I taught them a thing or two.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Tell him the hand gestures kill most of the cool he gets from the Mr T shirt. :lol:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah. The puking probably means you didn't learn too much from college, either. :lol:

Sgt. Fury used to commonly have an expression like that while blasting away with his tommygun at the Germans or Japanese, cigar in mouth. Can't quickly find a perfect example, but here's an idea:

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I used to read the Howling Commandos as well . He is a ringer for ol' Nick

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Probably wouldn't notice if I did Ric. My face is like the top of your head. :lol: In the pic I hav a neatly trimmed young goatee ..... best I can do I'm afraid. :? Oh PS, I don't smoke. Darn kids got me drunk and talked me into smoking a cigar. :lol: For what it's worth, yes, I puked. :oops:
I'd puke too if I had to wear that hat!!!!

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

I think that Nick Fury IS Sgt. Fury. In some weird comic book logic I think he was frozen, or super serumed, or time warped, or something and ended up in our time.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I think that Nick Fury IS Sgt. Fury. In some weird comic book logic I think he was frozen, or super serumed, or time warped, or something and ended up in our time.

yea i guess i worded that wrong. i meant that i agreed.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I understood. 8)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3