Clear all

Locking Tuners for Acoustic Guitars?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I have a set of Sperzel locking tuners on one of my electric guitars, and I've become a big fan of them. I'm wondering now if I can put locking tuners on my acoustics. I hate stringing one of my acoustics, and have been noticing that it is slipping out of tune more so than ever. So do they make locking tuners for acoustics, or can I use the same ones you would use for an electric?

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

You can, but may want to pay some attention to the mass of the tuners. Some acoustics -- especially some high end -- specifically use relatively lightweight (low mass) tuners. Significantly increasing the headstock mass may affect the guitar's attack (softer) and sustain (more) dynamics. This could also change the neck-body mechanical resonance, which might change timbre a bit. What's desirable for an electric is not always desirable for acoustic. Locking spertzels are relatively massy due to the added finger screw locking mechanism right? Locking Grovers are close to regular Grovers in mass (and size).

If I had a guitar with a unique and wonderful timbre, I would not screw around with it by doing any significant mods or part changes. OTOH, I wouldn't worry about the tuning machine mass on a relatively low to mid cost acoustic.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Its an Art & Lutherie Wild Cherry. Entry level guitar, but I love the tone I get from it. Its not like $4000 dollar guitar tone, but its sounds just as nice as most guitars that are double its price. I'll talk to my tech about it when he sets it up for me again.

Thanks

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Yeah, I don't think there are any specific locking tuners for acoustics - the regular electric ones should work, but what Gnease says makes sense. Just double-check it.

Also, I believe Grover make locking tuners that look like vintage-style tuners - no lock nut. Might look cool on an acoustic. The Grover lockers tend to be more traditional looking than Schaller and Sperzel - and they use a set screw instead of the prongs (I hate them).

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote