Clear all

Loose Strap Pin

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@surfbluewavesbc)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

On my strat the piece where the strap goes on at the bottom ( I think it's called the strap pin ) keeps getting loose even though I've tightened it once already. The white piece of material separating the wood from the guitar body has also fallen off.

Should i just tighten the screw going into the strap pin again or bring it to the shop to be fixed? Also do I need that white piece of material?

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I'll start from your last point. The piece of felt is there to stop the metal head of the strap pin damaging the paintwork, when you tighten it. To some degree, it also has the effect of providing a "spring" force to hold the pin firm and stop it coming loose. Ask your local music shop if they have any of the felt washers. If they do repairs, I'd bet that they have.

As for your strap pin coming loose, there could be a couple of reasons. Personally, I'd take the opportunity to replace the standard pins with Schaller strap locks. They don't cost a lot, but do have several advantages over standard pins.

It may be that playing with a loose screw has caused the hole to be widened, so that tightening the screw has little effect. Try some plumber's PTFE tape. Wrap the screw threads in one or 2 layers of the tape and screw it in. That will, normally, hold the screw tight. Don't do more than 1 or 2 layers, to start with, as the tape should fill the hole not expand it.

I also use the PTFE tape to hold my trem arm. The arm is held where I put it, but is free to move and nowhere near bottoming out (often the death knell for trem arm threads).

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

replacing the button can work. another fix is to remove said button. place a piece of wooden toothpick in the hole. reattach the button. the toothpick will receive the threads crushing the toothpick a bit and giving the button a snug tight hold.
passive repair.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@surfbluewavesbc)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to bring to the local guitar shop to fix it.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to bring to the local guitar shop to fix it.

Well that's okay, I hope it works out perfectly. :D

I've used the above methods too, and sometimes with glue.

The most radical was to drill it out, plug in a dowel, and start a new hole.

I really like the suggestion for Schaller locking strap buttons if you don't already have them.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote