Skip to content
Lower the action on...

Notifications
Clear all

Lower the action on an old Yamaha FG-75?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@buddingguitarist)
Topic starter  

Hi guys, I rescued a nice little old guitar that had basically sat in a closet for the last ~15 years. It sounds great with new strings, but the action is really high. :(

I'm just starting to learn all about guitars, and I heard a little about something called a truss rod that could be adjusted. At first it looked like my guitar didn't have a truss rod adjuster, but then I found what looks like an adjuster at the top of the neck.

Is that adjustment what needs to be done, or is there something I'm missing? If that's what I need, how do I know which way to turn it to make the correct adjustment?

Thanks!

(@alangreen)

Is the neck warped? Look along the sides to check.

If not, leave the truss rod alone.

Action is adjusted at the bridge.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@supremesound)
Eminent Member

If your neck has a bow upward, you'll need to tighten the truss rod. That will bring your neck down, thus lowering your action. But that might not be enough. You may also need to address the high action at the saddle. If you are in any of the areas that we offer our COMPLETE Guitar Repair & Set-Up Clinic http://www.supremesoundstudio.com/complete-guitar-repair-set-up-clini , we show you the procedures and step by step instruction about doing a proper set-up. We teach the theory and technique of making your guitar play its best. If you can't make it to one of our classes, we also offer private Skype or FaceTime sessions.

ReplyQuote
(@buddingguitarist)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies. The neck doesn't really look warped to me... (click the photo to see a large version)

I'm afraid it was left in the closet with the strings tight, and over time it just pulled the neck out of place. If so, I take it the truss rod won't really help me any. :(

@supremesound, how much is the charge for a Skype lesson?

ReplyQuote