Lowering Action - Yamaha APX-7A

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@amnesia)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi there...
I've only just signed up to the boards, and I'm already asking for "help"! I hope you don't mind :)

Anyway, I've my Yamaha APX-7A since I started playing, about 2 years ago. It's still my favourite guitar (even though it's not the best). It has a beautiful rich tone to it... not as deep as the Taylor, but it's a sort of unique, acoustic/rock sound. Really nice!

Anyway, It's got an unusually high action to it. Pretty high that barre chords can sound "dudd" if not hit perfect etc.

However, I feel this has helped progress my playing (as the Sheraton and Taylor 514 are sooo easy to play) anyway... I am looking to get the action lowered.

I've had a look at the truss rod and it is a little stiff... Infact - it doesn't move at all and no alan key fits it... is this because I need a certain Yamaha tool?

Another option I could take is to get the bridge shaved?
Which would you suggest?

Thanks

//--Amnesia--

Gutiars: Sheraton II | Yamaha APX-7A | Taylor 510CE-LTD
Equipment: Hiwatt 40 Amp | Switch Pedal | Zoom 200 FX Pedal
Piano: Roland 236

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

You do need to make sure the relief is OK before you lower the bridge so get the truss rod tool worked out. Lowering the bridge takes a little shaving of the saddle to bring it down As a matter of fact twice the amount you want to bring the action down at the 12th. Check out the setup steps on my site and see if that helps.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@amnesia)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Well my Dad adjusted his truss rod (he also has a Taylor) and didn't need to shave the bridge. He used a standard alan key.
I'll check out your site, I'm hoping I can just adjust the truss rod to get it lowered enough to suit my playing.

I have recently read that some people will have their guitar setup a little harder than they like, because they think their playing will improve.
It then goes on and says that unless your guitar is set up to how you feel comfortable, you will never sound good (to yourself).. Which is why I'm taking the step to have it setup properly.

My Sheraton II was bought second hand, its in beautiful condition (check out my website), and is really nice to play. If I could get my acoustic something a little similar, I think I would be happy!

//--Amnesia--

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

DANGER

the truss rod isn't used to adjust action. It adjusts relief.

If you have a problem with the action, take it to a pro.

ReplyQuote
(@amnesia)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Sorry, I may have confused you a little. He didn't adjust the truss rod to lower the action, he just felt the action lower after adjusting it.
And i was asking wether I should get the bridge shaved or just try my luck with the truss rod?

I udnerstand shaving the bridge a little will lessen the tone etc..

//--Amnesia--

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

And i was asking wether I should get the bridge shaved or just try my luck with the truss rod?

As Nils said, adjust the neck relief (via the truss rod) before you adjust action at the saddle. Look at Nils' site - he's got good info for doing it yourself, or take it to a shop and get it set up professionally if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.

My Yamaha's truss rod works with an allen key, but as I recall it's a slighly different (larger?) size than I use on my Fender. Try 4mm and 5mm keys.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

If you think of the neck as being bowed and the strings being straight, the truss rod increases and decreases the amount of bow.

It doesn't move? Well it is an allen wrench, US not metric. Try loosening your strings and loosening the truss rod all the way out. Put a couple of drops of 3-1 oil on it and tighten it back up to where it was. Tune to pitch and check your relief. Now adjust the truss rod until it's just right.

As for shaving the bridge, well I'd look at lowering the saddle first. Not too tough a job with a block of wood, some sandpaper and some patience.

ReplyQuote
(@amnesia)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Okay, so I need to loosen the truss rod first, then tighten it back up... then adjust the saddle?

I'll give it a go over the weekend I expect.

Thanks

//--Amnesia--

ReplyQuote
(@prndl)
Reputable Member

If you want to read some more about guitar setup, here's the site:
http://www.frets.com/

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

ReplyQuote