Notifications
Clear all

LP properly grounded but still buzzing

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@slowpogo)
Topic starter  

Hello! I've read about 20 threads on this forum and others but haven't seen my particular issue addressed.

I have an old Les Paul copy (Lotus) I play with a Fender Pro Jr. When nothing's plugged into the Fender, it has some hiss but no noticeable buzz until it gets to 9-10 on the dial.

When I plug in the guitar, there's no buzz with volume all the way down, but even turning it up a little reveals a nasty, loud buzz. The buzz is somewhat reduced when I touch the strings or metal on the guitar, but still unacceptably high, esp for recording purposes. I know it is normal for buzz to lessen when you touch metal but my impression is, this typically means it goes from a little buzz to none. My setup's going from a ton of buzz to less, but still a lot...this is the particular situation I have not seen addressed.

I used a multimeter to test continuity in the guitar, and all pots, switches, input jack, everything connects to each other through ground. There is a bridge ground wire connected to a volume pot. As far as I can tell everything is grounded as it should be, and for other people, this seems to eliminate any buzz...not for me. I also checked that wiring was correct and resoldered a few joints on the pots that looked possibly sketchy, but this didn't help. The guitar cavity is not shielded. But from what I've read, shielding with aluminum/copper tape can reduce noise *somewhat* and perhaps I'm wrong, but my problem seems beyond this remedy. Aren't plenty of guitars pretty quiet without any shielding?

I'm just playing my setup again after several years in storage, and as far as I can recall, the guitar didn't have this problem before. Any suggestions? Thanks.

(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

If no problem with guitar, I would suspect the amp itself. possibly bad caps in the amp. try another amp known to be good. also check your cords and jacks in the amp and guitar. Lastly, it could be a problem with your house wiring, esp. if you have florescent lighting or dimmers.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@slowpogo)
Topic starter  

It's not the amp, it does not buzz when nothing is plugged in, or when another source (ie my computer audio output) is plugged in. I think that rules out the house wiring too. Maybe the guitar cord but it's brand new and says it's 95% shielded.

ReplyQuote