Lubricating My Nut

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@raistx)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

First of all get your mind out of the gutter :roll:

My thin strings seem to jamming a bit and make a pop sound when I first start tuning. I have heard that graphite ie. lead pencil is good but my nut is white and I don't want to put that gunk on it. Is there any other household product that is clear which will work OK and not damage my guitar? I was thinking a drop of machine oil would do the trick.

Thanks in advance,

Raist.

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I'm not saying anything about your nut, but a magnifying glass and some very fine sandpaper might help. Loosen the strings that pop as you tune them and have a good look at the nut with a magnifying glass. Make a couple of swipes through with a folded piece of sandpaper if you see any burrs etc.

That should help.

You could try this:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz229/21b/?wmcp=cj&wmcid=feeds&wmckw=22921-1001-1296&AID=10495307&PID=2614359

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

This is a FAQ with several extensive discussions in the archives.

In short, no, machine oil doesn't work. It's thin and flows out of the way under steady pressure. Anhydrous lanolin (wool fat) works well and won't stain your nut. A properly fitted nut really shouldn't need lubrication.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

First of all get your mind out of the gutter :roll:

My thin strings seem to jamming a bit and make a pop sound when I first start tuning. I have heard that graphite ie. lead pencil is good but my nut is white and I don't want to put that gunk on it. Is there any other household product that is clear which will work OK and not damage my guitar? I was thinking a drop of machine oil would do the trick.

Thanks in advance,

Raist.

Once you've made sure they're cut just right, lube 'em up with a little Nut Sauce.

Really helps if you have a Bigsby :shock: :lol:

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

If you're looking for a quick home remedy, you can use chapstick or even deodorant. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

You SURE that you're not stringing up lapping over another winding??? If you hear this when you first start taking up the tension (as I think you mean) then it may well be that??? Who knows!

Cat

PS: GREAT subject title!

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@raistx)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Sand paper, deodorant, MAGNIFYING GLASS!!!

I'm offended :evil:

Hilarious. :lol:

I'm pretty sure its not overlapping Cat. I just realised it might have started when I went from 9's to 10's. I should have thought of that earlier.

Thanks for the tips. I think the sandpaper (carefully) will do the trick.

ReplyQuote