Clear all

Making your own

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@stevedabear)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Being the crazy person i am, i've thought about the idea of making my own guitar, i mean carving the wood, similar to a fender but personalised shape with... some personal alterations etc, i'd buy the neck, because... thats just an over crazy thing for me to try to make. but the electronics are pretty much easy enough to set up, and i imagine the hardware is ok to do. well... lining the neck up perfectly i imagine is a B**** to do.

Its just a project i'd like to set out on, i'd get it sent of for a paint job probably, please lend some advice on these points. plus the biggest thing is wood, how do you get a chunk of... lets say Ash ? and is Ash a very nice wood to just wax ? does it have a nice grain ?

I dont really know a lot about the subject thats the whole point of me asking lol.. Any advice would be overly appreciated.

It'll be a learning curve thats for sure, i'm not expecting it to be easy.

(@jbehar)
Trusted Member

Not so crazy.

There are a lot of resources available on the web, just google guitar building, lutherie or guitar making. I have come across many good sites.

Being a woodworker, the first thing I thought of after starting to play was building my own guitar (acoustic in my case)

Maybe I'm lucky but in Toronto we have a school called the Ontario College of Art and Design. One of the courses they offer is a stringed instrument making course tought by a luthier. For about $500 you get to take the complete course and build a guitar. The cost includes all materials and supplies to finish a solid top acoustic steel string. I'm seriously considering taking the course next winter. Maybe there is something like that in your area.

If acoustic interests you, try a book by Cumpiano (that's the author) I believe its called guitarmaking tradition and technology or something like that. Its considered by many the "bible" of guitar making.

The other thing to consider is buying a kit from someplace like Stewart Macdonald. A good place to start either way is...

http://www.guitarmaker.org/

http://www.mimf.com/

Good luck and keep us posted

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

i was thinking of going to that last summer... i'm from windsor, just a few hours south of toronto. I was up there for about a week in october participating in a sleep study, and i checked it out. ive really been considering it, if i can pull the cash together.

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Check out Carvin Guitars. They have bolt kits that you put together and fnish yourself. And they make some great guitars too.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

If you haven't found it already you can take a look at

http://www.projectguitar.com

Great site for people who build their own.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@stevedabear)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks guys, an old mate of mine bought all carvin guitar parts and put them together with his personal finish, i've only seen pictures though lol, cause we dont see eye to eye any more lol.

I'm really looking at carving my own body though.. should make things just that little more interesting, its just getting hold of wood thats the problem,

with reguards to the course, i dont know of any round my way near London in England.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I'm pretty sure stew mac sells blanks. Ya here it is Guitar Blanks

Also check this out Free guitar info

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote