Clear all

Mellow sounding strings

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I've played some guitars and am noticing that on some of them the High strings don't ring out as much, and have a much bassier and mellower tone. I was wondering if that could be the type of strings, or the guitar itself? I'd like to get that sound where the highs don't ring out as much, but not sure how to get it.

Any thoughts?

The strings that I have on my guitars now are D'Addario on my Ibanez, and Martin Extra Light on my Epiphone Expedition.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

(@eyeplayguitar)
Trusted Member

I'm assuming that heavier gauge strings are going to sound bassier... but I feel like the guitar is mostly responsible for the tone.

Find Guitar Teachers

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Okay thanks. I'll have to try some Mediums, I've tried nothing but light on my acoustics.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

The brand, the components, how are they made and if they are fresh are also responsible of the sound. The wikipedia has an interesting article about it.

I have the exact model at home but I use "silk and steel" strings and they have a good mellow tone. I have used several brands (Martin, GHS, D'Addario) and all are similar. The bad news is they are not fresh too many time!

Try it the next time you change the strings! :D

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Hey Joe. +1 on the Silk & Steels for mellow sounding, except that it is throughout the range, including bass and mids.

The funny thing is that the silk does get not into the first 2 or 3 strings as all, if they're not wound.

As said in posts, strings make a big difference, I guess that's why we use them, eh? :D

Oh my, your D'Addarios are going to be bright, and that's why I like them. :wink:

You didn't say if you were playing new stock guitars, or other people's. The most common reason I have found in either hundreds or maybe thousands of guitars (on the guitar show circuit where sampling is always free) for 'dead-sounding' light strings, or first E, & B strings, is too low action at the saddle.

Somewhere, sometime, someone has trimmed the bottom of the saddle to the point where it becomes too low, and those 2 strings don't get caught as they should, or don't have a fixed 'take-off' point, tending to slide imperceptibly over the saddle, whether it's bone, micarta, plastic or tusq, doesn't matter.

Let me say one more thing on this topic: on an acoustic or basically any non-trem or fixed bridge guitar, you want your strings fixed and firm, preferably in little grooves or channels that 'hook' em to the saddle, while you want the opposite at the nut, all the way to graphite lack-of-friction, nut sauce slipperiness or roller action. :lol:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys! I appreciate the input.

The guitars I tried were new guitars, not used. I think I may be straying away from D-Addario strings for a bit and go with Martin SP strings, at a bit heavier gauge and try that out.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Joe, sorry for the delay, I am busy these days. Currently I use GHS Silk and Bronze, 11-49. And I have a couple of sets of Martin: SP 80/20 Bronze (I think I already used these strings but in a different gauge) and Silk and Steel .0115-.047. I will change the strings soon, if you want I can record some clips.

ReplyQuote