9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 bohh
(@bohh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey all,

About a 3 weeks ago I purchased a Cordoba Flamenco Guitar from Guitar Center. It came with a humidified case, (made by Cordoba) and I put it in it's case when I got home and left it in there for a few weeks.

I just recieved some flamenco material I was wanting to work on, so I went and pulled the guitar out. What do I see? Green MOLD around the sound hole in spots and from what I can see 2 spots on different beams supporting the sound board inside the guitar. For all I know there's more in there where I can't see it.

What could have caused this mold? Again it's a light green mold with some white inside. And more importantly is there anything I can do to get rid of it?

Should I take the guitar back? It's still under 30 days and I can get all my money back. I'm just suprised, it's not an old guitar or anything it's brand new. I could see if it was vintage or something.

Thanks.

Guitarjourney.net - Everything I've learned and want to learn, including chord diagrams and other information.

(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

I would take it back.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
 bohh
(@bohh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply. Is it something I did? I followed the instructions on the humidified case, but should I have done something else or used something else to humidify it?

Thanks

Guitarjourney.net - Everything I've learned and want to learn, including chord diagrams and other information.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Thanks for the reply. Is it something I did? I followed the instructions on the humidified case, but should I have done something else or used something else to humidify it?

Thanks
It sounds like you over humidified it. Using a humidifier when it does not need it causes too much moisture which leaves droplets on the surface, which in turn can become mold. Kind of like when water sits on a piece of wood outside.

Pick up a cheap humidistat and check it.

To remove the mold you can just take a damp cloth and try to wipe it off. If that does not work a little rubbing alcohol will work but just use a little and dry it off immediately.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 bohh
(@bohh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Do you think there is any mold inside the guitar where I can't see it?

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Do you think there is any mold inside the guitar where I can't see it?
More than likely but what you can't see or get to will dry out and should not be a problem once the moisture level settles. You can use a small mirror to see if your concerned.

I would take it back to where you got it and let them look at it and get there opinion on what should be done and if they need to replace it. If you followed the instructions you should be OK with the warranty.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 bohh
(@bohh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Just wanted to update you all. Thanks for your help. The mold was really bothering me so I looked inside the guitar and it's all over the place. So I took it back to guitar center and got a full refund. They tried to get me to buy another guitar, so I went and looked and what do you know? All of the Cordoba's in the room, except for 1, had this green mold on it.

I asked them what they thought it was, they hesitated a second and told me it was wood putty. Yeah, ok, green wood putty.

Thanks all - I guess I'm on the hunt for another flamenco guitar now.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

If I were a betting man I would bet they were in a warehouse for awhile. Glad you got your money back.

I have seen different colored putties before but never on the outside and never green. Plus, even if it was green putty then they sure did a sloppy job with it.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

"I asked them what they thought it was, they hesitated a second and told me it was wood putty."

lmao, that's priceless.
glad you were able to get your money back.

#4491....

ReplyQuote