Neck Joint Glue

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@mad_guitarist)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

wow, i completely forgot i had a logon here! :lol:

anyways, i'm in the middle of constructing my 3rd guitar, i decided to try a set-neck this time. it occured to me in the wee hours of yesterday morning that i really don't know anything about gluing wood to wood. :oops: my first idea was to just spackle on the jb weld and clamp it together. but a few of my more wood-savvy friends were...more than opposed to my idea. (i believe "godless heathen" was used before i stopped listening :shock: ) before i go and mess up my nice project, i wanted to ask some people who know what they're doing. would the epoxy work? or should i use wood glue? or this hyde glue i've been hearing about? and finally, are the woods themselves a determining factor when choosing a glue?

any help at all would be greatly appreciated

-JustiN-

I don't want you to play me a riff that's going to impress Joe Satriani; give me a riff that makes a kid want to go out and buy a guitar and learn to play.

— Ozzy Osbourne

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Personally I think the epoxies are too hard to work with and don't give the results of a good wood glue. I recommend either wood glue like Titebond or Elmers Carpenter's Wood Glue. Pretty much any yellow wood glue is good. The key is clamping and letting it set for atleast 24 hours.

Check out http://www.frets.com for some alternatives. I think there is even some comparisons on there with different types of glues.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@mad_guitarist)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

cool, thanks! awesome site, lot's of juicy info there!

so, i'll be using yellow elmer's wood glue.

i'll try to post some pics of the completed beast if my camera decides to cooperate :lol:

I don't want you to play me a riff that's going to impress Joe Satriani; give me a riff that makes a kid want to go out and buy a guitar and learn to play.

— Ozzy Osbourne

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

check out Stewmac.com. they have several kinds of glues used by luthiers.
even if you dont buy any reading what they have is educational. meaning the types available and for different uses.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

cool, thanks! awesome site, lot's of juicy info there!

so, i'll be using yellow elmer's wood glue.

i'll try to post some pics of the completed beast if my camera decides to cooperate :lol:

The two glues usually used for this purpose are hide glue and "Original" Titebond (a "yellow" glue). Do not use Titebond II, it is water resistant and given to creep -- neither of which is desireable. The former makes repair difficult (steam will not loosen the joint), the latter is an obvious problem. As suggested above, Stew-Mac sell all of this.

Before I knew better, I used epoxy on a LP kit neck joint. It's difficult to work and not easily repairable.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

This is a theme that has been around before.

Titebond has a liquid hyde glue that is fantastic. Whether working on your guitar or a family heirloom china cabinet, this is great stuff. It is in liquid form so there is no need for a heating bucket. Available where better wood working tools are sold.

That being said yellow wood workers glue should be the standard product you use. It gives you plenty of open time to get your project set, clamped, checked, adjusted and reclamped if necessary.

You should shy away from epoxy. Very short open time, no repairability. Outside of maybe the fretboard inlays I don't think epoxy has any business in fine woodworking projects, guitars or furniture. IMHO.

Post some pics of your project when its done.

(This project guitar sounds like something I'd like to give a try. I'd love the woodworking and finishing aspect but I don't know if my big fingers could do all that wiring in those small cutouts. Had to repair a volume knob once and took me forever.)

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

This is a theme that has been around before.

Titebond has a liquid hyde glue that is fantastic. Whether working on your guitar or a family heirloom china cabinet, this is great stuff. It is in liquid form so there is no need for a heating bucket. Available where better wood working tools are sold.

That being said yellow wood workers glue should be the standard product you use. It gives you plenty of open time to get your project set, clamped, checked, adjusted and reclamped if necessary.

You should shy away from epoxy. Very short open time, no repairability. Outside of maybe the fretboard inlays I don't think epoxy has any business in fine woodworking projects, guitars or furniture. IMHO.

Post some pics of your project when its done.

(This project guitar sounds like something I'd like to give a try. I'd love the woodworking and finishing aspect but I don't know if my big fingers could do all that wiring in those small cutouts. Had to repair a volume knob once and took me forever.)

Michael

Other than inlay filling, the only other widespread guitar-assembly use for tech glues such as epoxies and polyesters has been on Ovations and the like. OTOH, superglue (cyanoacrylate) works well for bindings.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote