Clear all

Neck

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

When buying a new neck off of warmoth is there anything that needs to be done to it. This guy told me something about fret leveling. I was interested in buying one so i was wondering what exactly would have to be done to the neck so i can prepare before i buy it.

(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

I bought a Mighty Mite a while back for a project strat.

They are nice but bare, need finishing and fret wire is all machine cut and needs filing. Leveling would be another thing for high spots. These replacement necks are production made and need finishing to be 'right'.

I used my neck as it was but I could very easily see how someone who really knew how to play and played fast would get cut on the edges of the fret wire.

No big deal if you have patience and are willing to take the time to do a nice job, just so you know replacement type necks are not 'bolt on and go.'

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I don't think Warmoth necks need anything other than matching the holes up and bolting it on. Call 'em up and ask 'em if no one here can tell you from personal experience.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I don't think Warmoth necks need anything other than matching the holes up and bolting it on. Call 'em up and ask 'em if no one here can tell you from personal experience.
Good advice - call Warmoth, they know their stuff. Very helpful when I needed a part for my guitar.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I bought a Mighty Mite a while back for a project strat.

They are nice but bare, need finishing and fret wire is all machine cut and needs filing. Leveling would be another thing for high spots. These replacement necks are production made and need finishing to be 'right'.

I've noticed a lot of sharp fret ends on "budget" strat-ish guitars in stores.
I've shied away from buying one as a project, because I wans't sure I have a steady enough hand to file the ends without taking some wood with it.

Is there a trick to cleaning up the ends of frets without abusing the wood of the neck?
Or is it just a matter of using small files and lots of patience (and steady hands)?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I never even thought of calling them up and asking them but that would probably be the best way to get an answer. Thanks

ReplyQuote