Clear all

Necks

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@nick_the_brave)
Topic starter  

Hi folks ,

I have bought a body , a knock off rhoads V , i have a neck from an old cort performer , so from what i read everything should have fit perfectly , however the neck socket is a bit too wide for neck , anything i can do about this its out about 1 mm either side

Thanks

N

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

That's a lotta gap. You probably can glue in wood shims to fill the space and make the neck fit snugly. But given there is that much of a fit issue, I recommend first checking other dimensions to make sure this neck is really going to work -- especially the scale length, as the only ways to fix a scale mismatch that would be to move the bridge and/or reposition the neck by shifting (significantly!) its position along the axis of the guitar (along headstock-tail direction).

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@nick_the_brave)
Topic starter  

thanks , yeah , i have checked the scale and its definately right , i think the person who had the body has been a little to heavy on the routing , so shims it is .. will do a bit more reconnaissance, will post the final answer!

ReplyQuote
(@benpari)
Eminent Member

what would glueing in shims do to the tone/sustain of the guitar?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

what would glueing in shims do to the tone/sustain of the guitar?

Many bolt-on necks are shimmed at the main contact/mating surfaces to adjust neck-body angle. This is a well-established practice for even high end electrics and acoustics. With the proper materials (debated somewhat, but dense wood and paper often recommended), results are good structurally and tonally. In this case, it's a side shim, and so is not the main contact region for acoustic coupling, but can be important for establishing and maintaining the lateral neck angle. These shims will not likely affect tone.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote