Clear all

Need help with 1st guitar

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@littlebirdie)
Topic starter  

Hey guys,

I just bought my 1st guitar from a local pawn shop. When i got home i decided to go ahead and restring it before i got started. When i opened up the white rectangular piece on the back, this is what i found

Do i need to screw that screw thats sticking out all the way in? what's with all the white stuff?

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

The white stuff is probably residue from sanding/finishing.

The 2 screws that anchor the claw (spring holder) are both attachments and adjustments.
Having it like this causes more tension on the spring on the bass (thick string) side of the bridge.

I haven't spent much time tinkering with this type of trem, so I'll let others discuss if it's desirable to have more tension on one side like this.

I would advise that if your guitar plays nicely, just put the cover back on and don't mess with anything in there.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

What he said- the white junk could be residue, could be packing. COuld be something that fell in at the factory. If it's not hurting anything, I'd leave it alone, unless it's obviously dirt, dust or refuse, in which case I'd clean it.

The screws positioning your three springs are controlling what's called (at least by me) the tremolo claw. By loosening or tightening these screws, you change the position of the claw, therefore changing the tension on the springs. This determines how "hard" the springs are pulling your (tremolo equipped) bridge downward.

I can't really say if you need to tighten either screw, but I would assume not. It's common for the tremolo claw to NOT be fully "straight." After all- those springs are balancing the "pull" of your strings. And the strings on one side of the bridge (low notes) will be thicker than the ones on the other side. For that side of the trem to be "tighter" sort of makes sense.

Don't look at the back of the guitar- look at the bridge- if it's the way you like it (in the right position) then the springs are right. If not, you can adjust the screws to "balance" the bridge- but don't worry if they work out even or not.

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Yup, someone else here to tell you the same thing. The guys are right. Do you have the trem arm A.K.A. whammy bar? Do you plan to use one? If so, the back of the bridge should be a tad bit above sitting flush with the body. Those 2 screws are your adjustment. If your like me and don't use the trem, I tighten the springs so the bridge sits completely flush with the body. I also add 2 extra springs so I have 5. I put the bar in a box and never touch it again. This is how I keep these style trems in tune. :lol: Some people even put a block of wood in there so it can't move. (I've read Eric clapton does this)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote