Clear all

Need Help with Broken Bridge Parts?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@ismokerockz)
Topic starter  

Hello,

I am new to these forums, I am sometimes confused about the rules so I hope I am not breaking any! Anyways, I am an intermediate guitar player and I do have some knowledge about guitar parts but not a whole lot. I am okay with my hands and I know I can fix this but I need ideas.

I just had a little boy recently and I wanted to have a child's guitar ready for him so that when he's older(if he's interested) he can have one to play. I found a little gibson maestro that someone was throwing out and decided to see if it was fixable. It is actually in decent shape and it's perfect size, but the bridge isn't held on anymore. I'm not sure what to call them but the screws that hold on the bridge are broken off and they are actually stuck inside of the guitar, like they are threaded and there is no way to get them out.

This is the guitar - https://www.amazon.com/Maestro-Gibson-Short-Scale-Flying/dp/B0008JIM4Y/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I have tried using magnets and such but I can seem to grasp them enough to unscrew them. If anyone has any idea please let me know. It's not an expensive guitar, but I'd like to fix it up for my son. Essentially imagine a the part of a screw that you put a screwdriver into breaking off and leaving the screw threaded in with nothing to grasp it. Thanks!

Here are pictures of the actual guitar-

(@factorx)
Eminent Member

You need a punch or spring loaded punch. A small drill bit or small center drill bit and small easy out.

Use the punch to put a starter spot in the center of the broken screws. (Punch needs sharp tip)

Put your small drill bit on the spot you made with the punch and drill straight down the center of the screw. (Your drill bit needs to be smaller then your broken screw)

Tap your easy out in the hole you drilled and turn the screw out. (The tip on your easy out has to be smaller then the drill bit diameter)

Ps the hole you drill only has to be deep enough that the easy out doesn't bottom out before the sides bite in to the hole you drilled.

In case you don't know what an easy out is its a cone shaped tool with counterclockwise spirals down it.

To some it up quick your drilling a hole. Tap cone shaped tool in and backing broken screw out but your dealing with a very small screw so to do it right you need to follow the instructions above.

ReplyQuote