Skip to content
Need help with roug...

Notifications
Clear all

Need help with rough spot on fingerboard edge.

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@catguitar)
Topic starter  

A question for anyone with time to answer. There's a rough spot on my bass' fingerboard, i'l not sure how it happened. I tried steaming out the dents with a soldering and a moist cloth iron but there's some damage that won't come out. Its an american standard pbass from 2013. Looking at a closeup of the neck, the wood doesn't appear to be dented and it looks like there's just some rough finish, but supposedly these necks aren't finished. I'm wondering what's up and what to do next.

Can anyone with luthier experience look at these images and tell me what problem this looks like?

Do I need to repolish this with some kind of oil, if so which does fender use?

Thanks so much to anyone who took the time to read this,
- Cat

(@zincberg)
Eminent Member

The necks on these basses are finished, but with a satin laquer, however, that looks like glue to me.
Could be a spot on the fingerboard that chipped at manufacture and was reglued to repair.
It could be lacquer wear, but it doesnt look like that to me from those photos.
What I would do... and please remember that im going of a photograph, its not a 100% diagnosis by any means... Is to rub the effected area with "super fine" steel wool.
just a very gentle rub till the spot FEELS unnoticeable. You are not trying to rub the neck back, just get that area smooth to touch.

Most repairers will use lemon oil on the fingerboard to stop from cracking, but it shouldnt be used on the neck itself, just the fingerboard.

ReplyQuote