Clear all

New Pickups

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

As posted in the News section, I bought some new pickups from GFS for one of my Squier '51s. They have now been installed, and sound so much better than the stock pups. I will try to get a before/after sound clip together. Here are some pics...

Before

After

More pics are here

Bass player for Undercover

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Good job. Interested to hear the difference.

How are the balance (relative volume) of the E and e compared to the other strings on the neck pup? I have a GF fatboy Tele neck that I was thinking of putting in my burst '51, but wondering if it is really wide enough to slant. (My first black '51 got a P90 neck from Reverend. It's now a very hot crunch machine)

-=Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

Man I hated the look of those '51s until I saw yours without the pickguard! Shame about the holes though... :?

ReplyQuote
(@easto)

Man I hated the look of those '51s until I saw yours without the pickguard! Shame about the holes though... :?
I would just put some black paint on a q-tip and touch up those holes. From a distance you'd probably never even notice them.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I would just put some black paint on a q-tip and touch up those holes. From a distance you'd probably never even notice them.

One of my '51 project guitars is the same as this 'burst. I've switched it to a lam black 'guard about a third the size of the original. For the black area holes, I used filler, then automotive touch-up paint, black followed by clearcoat. Razor scape, level sand, steel wool and finally polish and buff. Not perfect, but not too bad -- looks like a waterspot in critical light. The amber area was bit more of a challenge. Used woodfiller, colored pencils, auto clear coat and etc. The amber area fills now look as if I dinged the guitar on a sharp table corner or the drummer's head and slightly damaged the surface poly. Passable.

(And I couldn't resist, this will be the second '51 to get a P90 neck pup! Routing is done.)

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote