Clear all

New Strings...odd sound

17 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Okay, so I put new strings on my Epiphone PRE4 Acoustic Guitar.

They are the Martin Clapton's Choice Phosphor Bronze Light strings.

Now it seems when I play it sounds as if I'm playing an electric guitar with distortion on when I play the E, A, or D strings. Is this normal for those type of strings or did I maybe re-string this thing wrong?

I'm hoping it's just the new strings. I'll post something with them tomorrow if it helps anyone.

Thanks!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Are they a lighter gauge than what you had on before? If so, the tension of the strings is less and the neck of the guitar will tend to spring back and straighten out (or even bend backward.) That lowers the action and causes the strings to buzz on the frets. You probably need a truss rod adjustment.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'm not too sure if it's lighter or not, it doesn't feel lighter when I play. The strings that were on the guitar were the ones that came with it, it was the first time I changed them. They may have gone from medium to light if I had to wager a guess.

I thought that maybe it was buzzing against the fret-board, and when I play one string at a time it sounds okay, it's just when I play chords sometimes...it's....odd.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Mediums to lights could cause that problem.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Okay, thanks, I'll have to take my guitar in to the store to get that adjustment.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Bet that'll fix it. See if they'll let you watch and learn. There's a reason you get a truss rod adjustment wrench with a new guitar. (Come to think of it, the one I just got today is the first one I ever got that didn't come with one!) It's user adjustable, with lots of online instruction sites. A new guitar ought to be properly set up, for sure.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I took a look at the guitar and the strings are actually not touching the fretboard at all. I went ahead and recorded my next video and will post it in the Hear Hear section as soon as it becomes active...I was actually wondering if the strings just needed to be "stretched" a bit.

I think I may be leaning toward silk strings though...I'll be taking it in Friday morning to see have someone look at it anyway though. The Sam Ash people are extremely helpful and I'm sure will let me watch them do it. I've looked at the instructions online, and it seems pretty easy, but you just have to be careful.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Might be just the sound on the video but they just sound like new strings to me. :?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Silk strings? You playing a classic guitar?

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

No, but I've seen silk woven strings for steel string guitars, and it sounds pretty good. I'm going to decide after taking it in to the shop.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

OK.

ReplyQuote
(@crate1)
Eminent Member

La Bella used to make silk and steel strings. but they don't last as long as other strings for steel string guitars. My brother used them on his 12 string..they sound great but have to be changed more often

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Are they a lighter gauge than what you had on before? If so, the tension of the strings is less and the neck of the guitar will tend to spring back and straighten out (or even bend backward.) That lowers the action and causes the strings to buzz on the frets. You probably need a truss rod adjustment.

That's EXACTLY what it is!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

BTW, when I said I didn't get a truss rod wrench with my new reso, I was wrong. I found it in the case. Still haven't seen a new guitar come without a truss rod wrench. Your amp may say "No user serviceable parts inside," but your guitar's truss rod is a user serviceable part.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the help everyone, turns out it was just a set of bad strings. Took the guitar in to the shop and they said something about the winding or something like that was coming off the core...not really sure what they meant, but I bought a set of Elixer Phosphor Bronze with that fancy nanoweb technology and it sounds much better!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2