Clear all

No one will help me

17 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@artguitarhendsbee)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys, i got a floyd rose, for my old squier, want to see if i can put it in, no one in any local guitar stores want to do it. Is it really that big of a task? I've looked at other floyd rose guitars, doesnt look that hard...

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

This is a significant modification, requiring some critical wood removal that could impact the structural integrity of the guitar body and neck (locking nut, right?). It requires experience, (ideally) FR routing templates, a router, maybe a paint booth and other tools that most guitar stores won't have unless they specialize in complex repairs and modifications. I suspect even those with the tools may decide the ecomonics of doing this on a Squier are questionable.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

This is a significant modification, requiring some critical wood removal that could impact the structural integrity of the guitar body and neck (locking nut, right?). It requires experience, (ideally) FR routing templates, a router, maybe a paint booth and other tools that most guitar stores won't have unless they specialize in complex repairs and modifications. I suspect even those with the tools may decide the ecomonics of doing this on a Squier are questionable.

Sounds easy enough! Where's the screwdriver thingy? :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

right next to the "ecomonics" thingamabob

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I think it got moved, Greg.

It's by the floor jack now.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

The instructions are online right next to the do it yourself appendectomy.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Which version of the DIY appy -- the one using only the shop vac or the other by medium bristle toothbrush and Marmite?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

Zing.

Zing.

Zing.

Zing.

Zing.

Zing.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Which version of the DIY appy -- the one using only the shop vac or the other by medium bristle toothbrush and Marmite?

Hmmmm .. I was referring to the one with the pen knife and the six pack? :?

ReplyQuote
(@artguitarhendsbee)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

so what youre saying is that i should just put a regular bridge into it?

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I think that's what they are saying. However if you don't really value the guitar, and you have the routing template, a workbench, a router and the right bit AND you're handy doing basic woodworking, you might be able to pull it off.

Don't try it on a guitar you actually want to play when you are done. That way if you get it to work you'll be pleasantly surprised.

ReplyQuote
(@fah-q)
Estimable Member

im kind of confused here. does a floyd rose require more routing to the body than a regular tremolo? if so where

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

The routing on the underside would be about the same but for a floyd you need to route a pocket on the top of the guitar just behind the bridge. This is so the arm can float and move both ways. The Floyd has two posts it sits on and they need to be precisely placed as well. Another route is at the nut. The standard one needs to be replaced with a locking one.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

If you want to use a Floyd, my suggestion is you sell the old squire body that you currently have and buy a Squier body with the Floyd route. (Or just buy a Floyd guitar). The Squier body with the Floyd route tend to go for about $75.

Youcan get Floyd routing templates from Stew Mac, but it is definitely a job.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Hello Dali,

You really need to take some pics and write a step by step tutorial on how to create your beer label work of art finish.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2