Clear all

No Sound??

18 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have a 15 watt Marshall practice amp and a SX GG1 Les paul copy. When I play the guitar through the amp the sound will cut out and come back and I can't figure out why. It doesn't matter which pickup I try to use. I don't think it is the guitar because I had another electric that done the same thing with the same amp. I don't have another amp to check the guitar. Could it be my cable? Any other suggestions?

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Yep, try another cable.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

The same thing happened with me, at first I thought it was the guitar messing up becuase I spilled tomato juice all over the pickup and it seeped inside, but it turns out it was the cable, and the tomato juice hasn't done any noticeable damage yet

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Definitely try the cable. Espescially those $2.99 cables tend to get broken rather easily.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

It won't ever hurt to buy a slightly more expensive cable than you are used to. The better quality cable you have, the less worries you have. I'm not saying to run out and buy a $20 - $30 Monster Cable, but I have not had any issues since I upgraded my cables. Some of mine are Monster, but not all of them. Usually the reviews on cables aren't very good because some peole really don't think they are important enough to buy quality. Like I said, the most expensive is not necessary, but get something that isn't cheap.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I believe in spending $$$ for superior quality and design. Monster uses quality components that do not always work so well together. The one Monster Cable guitar lead I have suffers from intermittent operation because the rather heavy-duty connector with the neato clamping collar keeps working loose. I end up using my plain ole midde-of-the-road switchcraft connector cables instead of the Monster.

Engineering mantra: "Simple is reliable."

Back to the topic:

Check for:

1. bad cable (same advice you've gotten)
2. loose amp input jack (is the nut loose? then the wires inside may be intermittent -- see a tech)

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the replys. I do have a cheapo cable, I will upgrade. I will also check the amp input jack, I didn't think of that for some reason.

Thanks again

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote
(@stevedabear)
Estimable Member

On a Squire Tele i'd be more persuaded to think it was the output of the guitar rather than the input of a marshall...

ReplyQuote
(@stevedabear)
Estimable Member

Not quite sure where i got squire Tele from... :? But i think as everyone else has said.. its the lead. The cheap ones with the sealed ends usually break from the thin crap wire inside.. the ones with metal cases are far better because if you do have a problem... its normally there and you can just solder them back in place.. or strip the cable down and make it shorter etc.
I believe in England that the most common decent leads and .. Venoms or Vipers.. cant remember which one it is.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I have a 10 year old 40 watt Marshall and it's doing the same thing. I know it's not the cable (a $40 Monster Cable) because I have more than 1 amp. It only happens when I turn it up above 6 or so, then I have to beat the h*ll out of it to get the signal back.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I have a 10 year old 40 watt Marshall and it's doing the same thing. I know it's not the cable (a $40 Monster Cable) because I have more than 1 amp. It only happens when I turn it up above 6 or so, then I have to beat the h*ll out of it to get the signal back.

Sounds like the pots need cleaning - do you get any "scratching" when you turn the knobs?

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like the pots need cleaning - do you get any "scratching" when you turn the knobs?

Only the GAIN knob. The amp itself really hasn't been mistreated over the years (just a couple of times in the last couple of weeks.) I know for a fact it's never been dropped, fallen over or fooled with. The last couple of years it's just been sitting around, so dirty pots sounds reasonable.

What is the best way to clean a dirty pot? With S.O.S.? :D

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I ordered a new cable but haven't got it yet, will post more info as I try it out.

Not real keen on the inside of amps, but guitar pots, switches clean good with contact cleaner. I got that off a website but I don't remember which one.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

GuitarNoise Rocks!!

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

it wasn't the cable. i am going to open the amp and clean everything and see if that helps. A guitar player at work that is alot more experienced than I am may help me if I get stuck.

ReplyQuote
(@mcdouggy)
Trusted Member

Don't all amps, both solid state, and valve hold high power charges?

I wouldn't open it up if I were you..unless you're very very careful! :shock:

Visit my band's website!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2