Notifications
Clear all

Noise goes away when I touch the metal jack plate

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@navneetsingh)
Topic starter  

I have a Ibanez RG7321. I recently removed the tone knob from its place and made sure that it is not touching any other knob or wire and left it in the cavity with other electricals (it is still connected as it was). Now I have a loud noise from the guitar but when I touch the metal jack plate or the metal part of my boss GT-3 it goes away. There is no noise when I use other guitars.
I got the tone knob back in its place and also checked the wiring, there are no loose wires but i still have the noise.
Can anyone help ?

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like you have disconnected an earth wire - when you touch the metal, you create the missing earth connection.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@navneetsingh)
Topic starter  

Sounds like you have disconnected an earth wire - when you touch the metal, you create the missing earth connection.

i have already checked. Everything seems to be well connected and a strange happened today.
A friend came over with a les paul studio, and my guitar went dead quite in front of it, no noise nothing...and his guitar wasn't even plugged. As soon as he left the noise was there again.

ReplyQuote