Clear all

Nut String Break

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@hiram)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

How much should a string break to the post after passing thru the nut. The reason I ask is I have an Agile LP 3100 that I would like to put the standard locking Grovers from StewMac on it. I ordered a set when I first got it a year ago but the string break appeared to very slight and I sent them back not knowing if it was enough, they are a direct fit with no drilling which was what I was after.

I have a Ibanez semihollow with the locking mini grovers and the string break is about the same as with the stock tuners. The full size locking grovers from the back side are almost .200 longer to the hole in the shaft where the string inserts than the stock tuners. SO, is string break really that important as long as the string rests fully in the nut slot or is there a certain amount of break that should be adhered to, thanks.

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

at first I thought you were talking about breaking strings.
I understand now.
the string angle is important as you suspect.the headstock angel and cut of the head stock insures good string angle (break).
I don't think a mil or two can jepordize the angle. string trees were added to pull the thinner strings to that optimum angle.
concern yourself if you begin to notice string buzzing noises.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@hiram)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply, the extreme headstock on a Gibson would be a mute point, but most copy LP's have basically the angle of an Epi LP which is much less. I guess I'll stick with the stock grovers because I don't want to drill new holes and fill old ones, thanks again for the reply.

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

One possible option is to use Gotoh locking tuners. They have models that have a height adjustable post and string locking. The model that would match the Grover look is the SG381 and the sub-model is H.A.P.M (Height Adjustable Post, Magnum lock). Here's the Gotoh catalog page that shows the SG381. There are also 18 different tuner button options.

If you don't mind if they don't look exactly the same you might want to think about the SGL510Z also with H.A.P.M. Here's that catalog page. Those are Gotoh's own model high end tuners with a 1:21 gear ratio - makes for really fine tuning.

Unfortunately, I don't think you can buy these in North America. I tried to find some of the SG381MG (Magnum lock model no height adjustment) and I couldn't. I ended up buying them in Japan and then having them brought back by family. You might be able to order them directly from a Japanese music store. If you don't speak Japanese then there are some that have English speakers/writers on staff to handle export sales. You could try Ishibashi - http://www.ishibashi-music.com/ You could also try searching eBay - sometimes some of the not available in North America Gotoh tuners show up there.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote