Clear all

Odd cracking noise?

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

last night when I was playing my Tele I noticed that when you turn the volume knob(on the guitar) from about 2-4 it will make a cracking noise but if you are touching one of the strings it isn't as noticeable. Do you guys have an idea about what it might be?

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

If you mean the crackling is while the volume knob is turning, it's the pot. They get dirty and contacts oxidize. Used to be you could shoot a bit of contact cleaner in there, but most pots are sealed now and need to be replaced when they get noisy. It's easy and cheap. Sometimes they'll get better for a while if you just turn them back and forth a bunch.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@barr00mhero)

Take some duster (canned air) and spray some underneath the knobs and try to clean the pot of all dust and debris. If that dosnt help i would take Ricochet's advice.

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Take some duster (canned air) and spray some underneath the knobs and try to clean the pot of all dust and debris. If that dosnt help i would take Ricochet's advice.
Take some pot and exhale underneath the knobs.
This will loosen the oxidation that has occurred.
(That is if you can remember what your objective was after taking the pot.)
Most pot is illegal now and can be replaced by alcohol.
In which case, exhale vigorously (after consuming internally) underneath the knobs and turn the knobs back and forth even more vigorously. The vapors won't do anything to the contacts but your brain will thank you for supplying it with the oxygen it needed to counteract the billions of brain cells you just killed by consuming the alcohol or pot.
If the "popping" continues, please refer to the "Hearing Disembodied Voices" thread for further advice.

If it can't be fixed by with a hammer, duct tape or WD-40, it must be an electrical problem, in which case, good luck.

(Sorry, was feeling “frisky” today)

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

This won't help. There is no access to the inside of a pot from beneath the knob. Gotta go inside the guitar. And if the pots are sealed, as Ric says, time to replace them.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

If it can't be fixed by with a hammer, duct tape or WD-40, it must be an electrical problem, in which case, good luck.

(Sorry, was feeling “frisky” today)

Okay frisky guy, gimme the can of WD-40, hammer and that duct tape. Now! [Wraps WD-40 in newspaper; seals with duct tape; buries in Staten Island land fill (too dangerous for NJ); smacks Ken's hands with handle of hammer.]

Ya might be kidding, but some joker was bound to mention WD-40 sooner or later. It's crap, and unusable for 99% of situations where people think it should be used. It is NOT a good lubricant. It IS a solvent. It is NOT as good as penetrating oil for situations where a solvent is required. And WD-40 should never be brought near a guitar.

capice?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

And ...... a new pot probably cost about the same as a can of WD-40. :wink:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member