Clear all

Odd Question - Static when touching the pickguard

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I just setup a stratocaster with a single-ply (cheap) pickguard that is loaded with single-coils. I didn't wire the electronics as they were already done and in the pickguard. Once the guitar was assembled I played it and it sounds GREAT, but I get a weird static sound when my pinkie rests on the pickguard while strumming. In fact, if I take my finger and rub the pickguard material back and forth I can hear a static sound. Not a buzz like a pure ground issue, but a static, almost like static-cling. Any idea? I tried different outlets, different chords, and difference amps. I played other guitars through the same setup with no issues.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Let me guess: back of the pickguard isn't shielded.

If so, follow this tip from Kinman and it should go away:

Once in a while I receive mail from distressed players saying they have a scratchy noise when their fingers rub on the pickguard. This is static electricity and can be cured by applying Aluminum or Copper foil to the entire rear of the pickguard but allowing a 1/4" (6mm) border around the pickups. The foil should be adhesive backed and stuck to the pickguard. It should also be grounded by contact with the volume pot so be sure to remove any surface coatings (clear lacquer) that Aluminum foil often has to protect it from oxidation.

A quick fix is to spray 'Static Guard' onto the pickguard. Static Guard is intended for soft goods like clothing and carpets and is available in spray cans from Hardware stores, Pharmacys and supermarkets.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Dude, where do you find this stuff?!!? I know, I know. Google.

Great advice. I'll give it a shot this weekend!

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I have the same problem with my Lite Ash Tele. I shielded and single-point grounded the pickguard, but it does not improve the problem much. I have no doubt that Static Guard would help, but I'm not going to spray that **** on my guitar.

I think the issue is basically the type of plastic used: Some types will hold a static charge better than others. Shielding and grounding the backside will not bleed away the charge, and one's fingers will simply move the charge around on the surface of the 'guard -- that movement of the charge is what the pups sense. Better shielding of the pups may help.

Anyway, I've decided to live with it until I change pickguard materials

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Gnease - funny! This guitar is using a pickup and pickguard assembly from a LITE ASH Strat!! It must be the pickguard. I'll try Hamer's suggestion, but I might just buy a new black pickguard.

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I was going to suggest the spray on static guard. I wouldn't spray it direclty on though. I'd spray a cloth and then wipe the guard.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Gnease - funny! This guitar is using a pickup and pickguard assembly from a LITE ASH Strat!! It must be the pickguard. I'll try Hamer's suggestion, but I might just buy a new black pickguard.

Yeah -- too funny. I used 3M copper shielding tape on mine, and grounded to the Tele control plate. But I never really expected it would work, as it doesn't make much "electrical sense" for this issue. Seems as if it simply makes the whole assembly into a better capacitor so it could in some cases attract and hold more static charge on the isolated top surface. Static Guard should break down insulating capability of the pickguard -- that does make sense as a fix.

But anyway, didn't really get better or worse by much, and now the guitar is a bit better shielded against external electric field interference. I'm thinking tooled leather, black pearl or faux tortoise shell for a replacement 'guard. One more thing on the projects list ...

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote