Clear all

Ok, another fret problem

14 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@terminator)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Some of u guys might remember my problems with the frets on my electric,(if u dont see my post called fret problem) and my dad found the answer for it. Because the dents are on the frets 18 &19, and my axe has 22 frets, my dad wants to filedown the frets from fret 18 to fret 22(so thell be on the same level.). He thinks that this is the solution. I dont agree. My solution is to go and refret 18th& 19 fret in some guitar workshop. Coming back to my dads solution, i think that there will be lots of problems. Is my dads solution a good one?(this question is for u PRO guys out there). Any advice is apreciated.

"No pain No gain!"- The Scorpions

(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

I'm not a pro, but I do know that getting profesional help from a shop is the way to go.... Getting a guitar refretted is not that expensive and you wont end up hurting the fretboard....

Also, the frets arent suposed to be flat, they have to have a rounded shaped to get the best sound. When you file them down they will be flat and may sound bad....

Take it to the shop dude!

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

The thing is, that my dad doesn't want to get a refret, beceuse he thinks that they wont refret those 2 frets with the same wire. He thinks that theyll change the sound.

ReplyQuote
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member

Like a professional is gonna do something like that...I'm sure you'll have less problems taking it into a shop than filing the things flat and possibly slipping the file and shaving a piece of the neck off...

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

ReplyQuote
(@evilspudboy)
Trusted Member

I don't really know if your dad's solution will work, but it seems if it doesn't then the worse case scenario is that you try it and if it doesn't work, You have to get five frets refretted instead of two.

So rather than argue about it just get your dad to agree up front that if he does this but your not satisfied with the result, he will have all the frets he filed replaced. If he is that confident it will work, then he should be willing to agree to that.

Now look at them yo-yo's that's the way you do it you play the guitar on the MTV

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

You can get a fret levelling from a shop. They will slightly lower all the frets until they are all the correct height. When they are done they will crown and polish the frets and the guitar will play better than new without any drastic measures. Unless those dents are huge, this would be the recommended solution. If the frets are too damaged, they can be replaced without dramatically alterring the sound of the guitar, but this is improbable and would be the last resort after a level and polish.

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, today i went to a workshop, and all they are willing to do is to crown and polish all the frets, and that costs 80$. Too expensive. In fact, my dad found a very good solution. I think itll work.

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

I did a complete fret leveling myself once. The key is to make sure your fretboard is protected, and to make sure that you have something completely straight to see if the frets are level. Also, you need to make a long sanding block, cause you can't just file one fret at a time. They will be uneven. Get a sanding block, and file ALL of the frets until they are ALL level. Then go in with the file and round all of the frets back to their original shape. Then polish them with 600 sandpaper, and then with some metal polish. Don't try leveling them one at a time, though! I can't express how important this is. This is a job that requires major precision, and the only way to do it is to uniformly sand the frets until they are all even with a block.

ReplyQuote
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member

This is a job that requires major precision, and the only way to do it is to uniformly sand the frets until they are all even with a block.

Sounds like a job for a pro to me...Dude...trust me...if you screw this up won't be very happy.

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

Spend the $80 man.... you wont regret it

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey Guys!!! Ive got great news! my dad did the job and the guitar even sounds better than ever! Im so happy! I havent played it for 4 days! Thanks for all your advice! But i didnt have to spend a penny, and its still great!!! Thanks guys. All your advice did me and Dad a lot of good!

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

Good to hear you got it working well!

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Just out of curiousity, how did your dad go about fixing it???

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well, dad just bacically filed those frets a bit, and polished them. You cant even see that their height changed. He done it perfectly.

ReplyQuote