Clear all

Old harmony with no torque rod

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@peaveyusa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have an old harmony I am trying to bring back to playing shape. It has no torque rod, and the saddle seems to be glued to the bridge.

I need to drastically lower the action but I can not remove the saddle to shave it down. And why doesn't it have a torque rod.

(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Normaly some heat or steam will loosen the glue depending on what kind they used to glue it in. As for the truss rod... a lot of the older guitars didnt have them, and some that did, they were not adjustable. If you dont have enough sadle to sand down to make a diference... sadly it might need a neck reset. Maybe the sadle lowerd, and some lighter string might help though. Good luck!!

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

Many of those old guitars were "steel reinforced" with non adjustable rods. They jut weren't expected to survive this long I would think. If the saddle is glued down I would probably chisel it out carefully and replace it. Steam is tough to localize and you wouldn't want to warp or relieve anything you didn't intend to - like the bridge plate, that could be a major pain. Get a good sharp 1/4 inch chisel and take it down along its length. Chances are it will pop off during the operation.

ReplyQuote