Notifications
Clear all

Painful GAS and lesson learned....

35 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I could be dead wrong and sometimes am, but I've even opened boxes in the dead of winter below zero and all and never had a problem, but I just thought since it's summer ... the temp and humidity would be much the same as the guitar was in for the whole trip to your house. As I said, such restraint! Oh yeah .. I'm very happy for you and glad it is a good fit. Enjoy the heck out of it! :twisted:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Sorry to hear about the case, but super happy to hear about the guitar fitting. Not plugging it in yet? THAT, is restraint. I'm impressed.
Roy, I brought my Epiphone Les Paul home and plugged it in just prior to wrenching, tristing and hacking on it. :lol: Just to be sure. I didn't really play it though til I had it all set up. Now, it sings to me. :note1: :note2: :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I could be dead wrong and sometimes am, but I've even opened boxes in the dead of winter below zero and all and never had a problem, but I just thought since it's summer ... the temp and humidity would be much the same as the guitar was in for the whole trip to your house. As I said, such restraint! Oh yeah .. I'm very happy for you and glad it is a good fit. Enjoy the heck out of it! :twisted:

Well shucks, feelin' kinda silly now - barely 80 degrees today and the garage is pretty much the same temp as the house, 72. Oh well, I'm the kind of person that will read an instruction manual cover to cover before unwrapping a piece of equipment. :) Thanks again!

"...I don't know - but whasomever I do, its gots ta be FUNKY!"

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Hey! Your the smart one. And besides, you got a new Firebird! I've never played one, but can't help thinking of the cover of KISS Alive where Paul Stanley is sporting a Firebird. It is a cool guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Alive was one of my favorite albums way back when, and I never realized Paul played a Firebird! I'm all over Johnny Winter now, spent my lunch hour checking out his clips on YouTube. Looking forward to learning Red House, Johnny B Goode, Am i Wrong (Keb Mo) and Mean Old World (Clapton version)

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Firebirds are sweet. One of these days I'll reach out and touch one. Feel the Flame of the Bird!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well, it's the weekend - I have a 12:00 noon lesson and I was hoping my guitar tech would have called me back; this didn't happen so I'm going to do my first pickup replacement tomorrow night. No fear since I was certified as a mini-soldering tech in the Navy, and I found a link on Stew-Mac for replacing banjo-style tuner strings. I know the bridge and tailpiece come off, my question... is another setup necessary after this upgrade? Just don't want to go through this and find I still need to see a tech.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Uh, so what's the deal? You are just replacing strings? Unless you are changing gauges extremely like 9's to 13's you should not need anyones help to set it up. If you change string size too much you can create more tension on the neck and bow it. A set of 10-46 should be good without much or any change, because that is probably what is on the guitar, maybe it has 09-42's. no prob. Of course I personally would put 10 - 52's.

Wait, I just re-read your post. Why are you changing a pick-up already?

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Uh, so what's the deal? You are just replacing strings? Unless you are changing gauges extremely like 9's to 13's you should not need anyones help to set it up. If you change string size too much you can create more tension on the neck and bow it. A set of 10-46 should be good without much or any change, because that is probably what is on the guitar, maybe it has 09-42's. no prob. Of course I personally would put 10 - 52's.

Wait, I just re-read your post. Why are you changing a pick-up already?
Why am I changing pickups already? One simple answer, I REALLY wanted open coil pickups; I didn't think it would look right on the Turser. This was going to happen to almost any guitar I bought as a replacement. Also for the reason you mentioned; I shouldn't need anyone to help me set it up. No better way to learn than to do it yourself. My squeamishness came from having a new piece of equipment and working on it - had to fight that fear with everything except computers. They're easy since I started out building them from scrap parts.

Now I've seen the guitar is no different, and with a few exceptions there isn't much you can mess up if you're careful and do a little reading first. 10-46 Britewires is what Epiphone had on there, I went with same gauge D'Addario stainless steel. The replacement was painless. I tend to make some things more difficult than they need to be...

The pickup change DID yield sonic differences I was looking for; more "depth" and more "scream". I can hear the sound I want in my head, just want to hear it when I play :D

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Glad to hear the pick-up change worked for you and that you were able to do all of it with out help. There are really good resources here in people and in links and tutorials. I agree with you about hesitancy to mess with something new, but you knew what you were looking for and that knowledge help make your decision. I love messing with guitars nowadays, just wish I had your training in soldering. Oh, well practice makes perfect.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Congrats on the bird.

I've never played one myself.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Congrats on the bird.

I've never played one myself.

You should give it a try, very comfortable to me sitting or standing.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

The longest I've let a guitar acclimate has been 30 minutes... I've had over 35 guitars shipped to my house and no issues.

Unless it is the dead of winter I wouldn't worry about it.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

The longest I've let a guitar acclimate has been 30 minutes... I've had over 35 guitars shipped to my house and no issues.

Unless it is the dead of winter I wouldn't worry about it.

JUST had to drop off for repairs a 30 year old Ibanez after it was on a BOAT for eight months. All the switches are actually OOZING bluegreen puke and even the gold anodizing is going green in places...

Only 30 minutes??? Yep...I shoulda done that!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Ooooh, that's gonna be a mess to fix. Hope they've got a big can of Deoxit!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3