Clear all

Pick Up Height Changed????

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

The high E started vibrating on something really badly. Horrible. Could not even play a single note anywhere on the High E. I think the B was in the same shape. Oh, it was on my EPI SG with the SD PUs in it.

I set it up on the desk and low and behold, the neck pick-up is way higher than any thing I've ever set a pick up to. It's as if a spring came lose and it all snapped up towards the strings about 1/3rd of an inch.

This was all in one little sitting. The thing worked just fine when I walked into the room. Stopped for a second to chat with my son and that's when it started.

End of it, is that I lowered the neck PUs and while it was laid out in front of me, I changed the strings. Probably was getting close to needing them anyhow.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@billyboy)
Estimable Member

rparker-

Is there a pre-defined gap the pickup (individual poles?) need to be from the string itself? As in needing to measure with a tool, etc.

Just curious if eye-balling it is sufficient or there is an optimum distance..?

"In my dreams your blowin' me... some kisses" - Lets Duet - Dewford Randolph Cox

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

rparker-

Is there a pre-defined gap the pickup (individual poles?) need to be from the string itself? As in needing to measure with a tool, etc.

Just curious if eye-balling it is sufficient or there is an optimum distance..?

It's more of a personal preference kind of thing. The range is quite wide, and it boils down to what you like. As far as a measurement, this link http://home.nycap.rr.com/nils/BasicGuitarSetup.htm#pickup offers 3/32nds as the starting point for the neck pickup, then fiddle to your heart's content. (section 5 on the page if you click the link) I don't know where mine is right now.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

3/32" is pretty narrow. I read somewhere long ago that Gibson's standard was 3/16" for the neck pickup and 1/8" for the bridge pickup. Whether that's true or not, I've found it to be just about right with most P-90s and humbuckers. Adjust to taste.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I just measured mine for giggles. It's almost 3/16th. I went back and checked Nils' site. I forgot to mention the "fretted" portion of that statement. Makes a difference, and ends up really close to the 3/32nds he talked about.

The full statement. "Neck pickup: 3/32" (2.38 mm) at the highest point of the pickup to the bottom of the string fretted at the last fret at the bridge end of the neck. "

Sorry for the confusion, but hey. It's why I posted the link. :lol:

Roy

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

It's as if a spring came lose and it all snapped up towards the strings about 1/3rd of an inch.I think you guessed it. I have seen many springs that acted normal for a long time then suddenly seated themselves and throws the adjustment way out of whack.

On a separate note, you would be surprised how many PM's I have received asking why my recommendations are different than others. The answer I always give is that I like to adjust it with the string fretted so the rest of the neck is out of the equation and I get the lowest point then work up from there. Then I get feedback that they didn't notice I said "fretted" so maybe I need to highlight that or something.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, I wasn't thinking about the fretted part, either. I measure the height to the unfretted strings.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote