Notifications
Clear all

Pickup Corrosion

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@nathan)
Topic starter  

I have some plated pickups on my lp that are starting to corrode. I think its from the oils on my hands. Does this affect the sound at all? How would I clean them without scratching the chrome?

Blues? Yes please.
Rock? Yes sir.

Music? Give me a guitar and I'll play.

(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

You can buy replacement plates. And it really shouldn't affect the sound, they're just plates that cover the coils and such.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware,_parts/Electric_guitar:_Covers_plates/Covers_For_Humbucking_Pickups.html

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

Do those plates effect the sound at all?

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Metallic pup covers (what are being called plates above) serve three primary purposes and do affect the tone somewhat:

Purposes

1. They protect the coils from damage.

2. They shield the pup from electric field interference. Example sources of this type interference are flourescent lamps and PC monitors, as well as PCs themselves. They do not provide siginifcant magnetic shielding (from 50 or 60 Hz hum due to electrical wiring, motors, power supplies -- that is anything that generates a magnetic field. Humbuckers were invented to resist magnetic interference.

3. Some people think the covers look better than the exposed coils -- purely an aesthetic judgement, as many feel exactly opposite.

Affects on tone: The metallic cover's drawback is a slight reduction in the high frequency output of the pup. The grounded cover puts a parasistic capacitance across the pup to ground, as well as between coil windings. The effect is similar to a short circuit at high and very high frequencies, slightly rolling off the treble in a manner similar to the tone control. This effect is slight, but some claim it's enough to be annoying and remove the covers. I suspect the effect is most noticeable in vintage and pups with fewer windings, as these have more high end to start.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Duh, doesnt everyone know that... :roll:

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

Everyone does now. :D

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Maybe I should clarify, what I meant in my original post is that the corrosion shouldn't affect the sound.

And what others have said about how pup covers affect sound is right.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote