Notifications
Clear all

Pickup installation question

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@69tele)
Topic starter  

I just installed some new GFS pups in a Squier 51 that I modded. This is my first time using GFS pups in a anything and so far I am pleased with their parts. However something doesn't seem right to me.

I installed their Alnico Tele neck pup and a Dream 90 in the bridge. I wired those up to a LP style 3 way and stacked dual 250/500 dual pot, got the diagram from a modder forum on the web. Everything functions as it should but when switched to the middle position there is a sever drop in volume. The sound is what it should be, that nasal in between tone.

Is this normal for a configuration like that?

(@gabba-gabba-hey)
Reputable Member

I'd guess one pickup may be out of phase with the other. Try reversing the leads on ONE of them; for example, if white is hot and black is ground, switch the wires so that black is hot and white goes to ground.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

+1 to Gabba's good entry.

However, I think you got the Dream 90 Neck Pup, which is reverse wound, instead of their bridge, and it is in the bridge position, fighting with, or yep.... out of phase with the neck.

I wonder if it is possible to tell which one you have by either the 2" or 2 1/8" string spread?

http://cgi.ebay.com/GFS-Dream-90-P90-fits-Humbucker-Black-on-Black-NECK-I32_W0QQitemZ400063464496QQcmdZViewItem

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Out of phase for sure .......... did the same thing on my Tele the first go round then fixed it.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote