Clear all

Pickup Options... Can't Choose

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well, I'm getting a Epiphone Les Paul, and currently I have a set of EMG HZ's going into it. But I'm having second thoughts about the EMG's. They just don't seem to please people. I'd really like to put in some high output Gibsons, but thats out of the Budget.

Anyone recommend a specific GFS for higher output? The Antique Fat Pat Boutique's look good. The Crunchy Pat High Outputs look good too, but they are a bit cheaper, and I can't find why. Where's the 5 bucks go?

Anyways, I've heard good things about GFS and for the price, I can get two GFS installed for less then one Gibson, uninstalled. Just looking for recommendations...

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

May I ask why you are changing pickups, and what type of sound you are after? Blues? Metal? Might make a big difference in the pickup specs you'd want to consider.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm looking at a range from classic rock to hard rock. Something with vintage tone that distorts well.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Since you aren't playing metal, you should consider lower gain pups (PAF, Burstbuckers, Seymour Duncan JB) and an overdrive pedal. This will give you better tones for classic to hard rock.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

GFS makes decent pups... but if you are going to the trouble to switch out pickups from an Epiphone I don't see the logic in putting in another set of marginal pickups. GFS (to me) are great pickups to build a guitar, but if you are already not happy with Epi pups, I would upgrade them with something decent.

For classic rock you could go with the Dimarzio Super Distortion, or do an Air Norton/FRED combo.

I have a set of Dimarzio PAF Pro humbuckers and they sound NICE.

You can't go wrong with Duncan JB/Jazz...

BUT, if you want that EPI to GROWL, I would put in a set of Gibson 490s. You can get them on ebay for $40 - 60 each. Best humbuckers in the world are Gibsons.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote