Clear all

Pickup problems!

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@hondaman)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

i have been playing guitar for a year since christmas and i love guitar now its all i pretty much do i got a cheap guitar kit from like radioshack or something its a good guitar like a strat but the bridge pickup is like too trebly i think and the neck and middle seem right bassy or muddy is it sapossed to be like this? i have 3 amps the 15 watt that came with it, a bass amp 60 watt i think, and i got a fender deluxe 90 for x mas this year. when should i use the neck pick up for lead or for rythm? I am new here so thanks every one and rock on!!! any advice is good thanks.

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Well, the bridge pickup's supposed to be a lot "brighter" or treblier than the others, and it often doesn't have a tone control connected to it. It's usually used for solo work. As for the others, have you turned the tone controls all the way up?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@lucam)
Eminent Member

It may also be the volume control of the guitar, it affects tone as well.

ReplyQuote
(@hondaman)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

i have all my knobs on 10 on the guitar usually and i thought the bridge pickup was what to use to play acdc songs or is it just for the solo's?

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

You can play whatever you want on whichever pickups you want. But usually you want less treble when playing chords, and whenever using a good bit of distortion. Too much treble can muddy up things. Speaking of which, now try turning down the tone knobs a bit and see what the other pickups sound like.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

It may also be a case of the pickup heights needing adjustment. Rare that they come from the factory set correctly. If any of the strings are too close to the pickups it can get real muddy.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@hondaman)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

i think most of my problem is what i had set to on my amp not relly sure what settings i should use on my amp but after i mess around with the knobs i can get a pretty good sound

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Well, there you go. Play around with it and see what sounds good. Those knobs are there for a reason, you don't always want the same sound. :D

ReplyQuote