Clear all

pickups, amps.. etc.

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@valenite)
Topic starter  

Hey guys,
I've been playing for about a year and a half now and when it comes down to a lot of the terms and such used when describing amps or pickups , I'm pretty much lost. but, I was curious about what I should eventually be running(pickup-wise) in my Squier Bullet( 2000 model) and/or My Main Street SG (Gibson SG clone). Genre-wise I play anywhere between classic rock and Metalcore, but I'd really like to get that Metallica-ish sound, but i don't know how to go about that.

"Discovering myself as the days pass by."
~Valenite

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi Valenite,

If I remember well, they use guitars with humbucker pickups, so that is the first difference with your guitar. The outputs are different, the humbucker output is greater than the single coil pickups that are you using in your Strat. So you could get a best approach to the tone with your SG.

They also use lots of distortion. I think there are (or were) some Metallica fans here so they can tell you the exact pedal. That also can help to achieve the tone.

But as you have probably read, the tone is in your fingers. So you could use the same gear that use Metallica and don't get the same tone. Once Eric Clapton was with Dire Straits and he was using the Mark Knopfler and other band member gear and he sounded as Eric Clapton.

Welcome to GN and welcome to the quest for the tone! :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

but I'd really like to get that Metallica-ish sound As Nuno mentioned, humbuckers will be a good choice. However, Metallica's guitarists both make use of EMG active pickups in their instruments. As far as amps, they pretty much use Mesa/Boogie & Randall. I am a fan of that dark sound as well. A wiki search lists their equipment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Hetfield
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirk_Hammett

Cheers,
Kat :)

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Hey guys,
I've been playing for about a year and a half now and when it comes down to a lot of the terms and such used when describing amps or pickups , I'm pretty much lost.

How about a Glossary? :)

Amp Glossary

Guitar Glossary

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@valenite)
Topic starter  

Thanks guys, for the tips, It helped :D

"Discovering myself as the days pass by."
~Valenite

ReplyQuote