Notifications
Clear all

Pickups/wiring

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@cnelson720)
Topic starter  

A while ago, i was playing my cheap little squier strat, when the guitar literally just stopped working. i don't know why. it just hums a little when it's plugged in, but the pickups seem to not be working.

This actually happened a while ago, but i just found the guitar in my garage and i miss playing it, seeing as i only play drop tunings on my other guitar i want a guitar that i can play standard on!

And i'm no expert with wiring or sotering? i'm not sure how to spell that.
So i can't exactly tell what the problem is, so i just took a picture of the pickup wirings, maybe someone can point me in the right direction of what i need to do:/

Here are some pictures i took.

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Nothing obvious in the pictures but I would check my connections on my jack. (Where you plug the cord into) It sounds like one of those wires has come loose or has a bad solder joint. This is a common problem.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@cnelson720)
Topic starter  

okay ill have to give that a check and get back at you

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I would put money on it being the jack. Unless the amp, or cable are bad. If it was anywere else, it would nock out a pickup or two... but all three having no sound?? yup... its in the wires going to the jack. If not at the jack, then where it hooks up to the controls

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@cnelson720)
Topic starter  

i'm positive it's not the amp or cable, because they work fine with my other guitar. i'm thinking it's the jack or the controls to he jack like you said. but i took a look at it and it looks fine to me, when i get home i'll post a picture or someting

ReplyQuote
(@cnelson720)
Topic starter  

i know for sure the amp/cable isn't bad.. because it works on my other guitar.

here is a picture of the jack. i can't tell if theres anything wrong here so maybe you can

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Well the ground/sheilding soldering looks a little sketchy... but looks like it has a good enough connection that it should work. I would say your looking at popping off the pickguard and checking the other end of that wire.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I think you are holding the problem right there in your hand. The braided cable (the shielding) is hanging on by a thread. it needs to be soldered. I'd fix that first cause I've seen ones that looked better and were still not connected.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote