Clear all

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@yjm_rules)
Topic starter  

help

i am trying to set up a new burns brian may guitar. the trouble is the bridge. when i tune to pitch the bridge pivots on the screw things and the back of the bridge is about an inch off the body of the guitar. i have tightened the claw right to the wall and still no luck. whats wrong????

thanks

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like you've changed the string gauge. I suggest that you need more springs on the vibrato unit.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@yjm_rules)
Topic starter  

yes i have. i was wondering whether it was that. i have only gone from 9s to 10 though. would it make this much difference? it has 3 springs in at the moment but they don't seem anywhere near as stiff as those on my fender. thanks for the help, i really want to get this sorted.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Yes, going from just that one size will make a difference. You could tune to Eb. You'll be surprised at how much difference the tone will be, not to mention bending strings into the middle of next week. I've always keep a couple guitars tuned to Eb just for that reason.

Joe

ReplyQuote
 gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

forrok star, What is eb tuning?

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Here's a couple different thoughts on the subject. Standard tuning lowest to highest, they are E-A-D-G-B-E.

E Flat you tune all the strings down 1/2 step,
E flat tuning lowest to highest, they are E-flat, A-flat, D-flat G-flat, B-flat, E-flat

This site has a more detailed explanation and worth learning. Pythagorean tuning

You'll find many songs and many professional guitarist over time have used or do use E flat. You'll understand what I'm trying to find the words to say once you tune and play a few songs tuned that way.

Joe

ReplyQuote
 gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

Last post did'nt go through. Thanks for the help Forrok Star, I think I've got it, does sound nice.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Thats part of the reason to have more than one guitar, so that you can have them tuned different. Its a real pain to drop a double locking tremolo down 1/2 step, takes me a good 15 to 20 minutes to bring it around to use. For years now I've always kept two tuned E flat that way I only need to tweak them and play.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

It is definitely good to have several guitars. Different pick-ups, different tunings, different strings, and just plain old variety will help with different sounds and song playing variety. Then there is all the other stuff to help with different sounds (amps effects, attenuators, EQ's).

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote