Skip to content
'Pop' when metal pa...

Notifications
Clear all

'Pop' when metal parts touched -Grounding problem or normal?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jamesharrismusic)
Topic starter  

On several of my guitars (including a Strat, SG and a relatively new Gibson Les Paul) I get a slight popping sound whenever I touch any of the metal parts (strings, bridge etc). I have read many forums that say this is a ground problem, others which say it can be normal static electricity build up in the players hands and others which say something about discharging capacitors. To try and assist anyone who has any idea I will list as much information below.

- It happens to several guitars.
- Makes no different plugging them into different leads or amps.
- There is no hum before, or after touching or holding the metal parts (just a kind of 'pop' when I touch them).
- I generally play on carpet (seems to be relevant to static etc?).
- I have checked all the wiring, even with a multimeter and everything appears to be grounded correctly.
- If I hold one metal part and touch another it does not make the 'pop' sound.

The sound is not very loud and does not bother me too much, I just don't want to get electrocuted! Any suggestions are more than welcome. Or is it just normal?

jamesharrismusic

(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

It sounds like normal static. When you touch any of the metal bits or strings those are grounded and the static you have is going into the ground.

If you want to avoid electrocution this is some good advice - http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/electrical/safety/index.php

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

If you take a finger and rub the plastic pickguard, do you hear a crackling sound through the amp? If so, it's probably static electricity buildup. If that's the case, rub the pickguard down with an anti-static dryer sheet like Bounce. It'll take care of the problem for a while.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@jamesharrismusic)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies, I will try rubbing the picguard. I have posted on other forums as well and I seem to be getting mixed responses. This may sound stupid but would anyone mind just trying to see if they can get this as well. Just plug your guitar straight into the amp, turn the volume up high and very gently tap the bridge, I can seem to make it louder by licking my finger and then doing it (but make sure you are not touching any of the other metal parts at the same time). Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@christll12)

hello! i have the exact same problem. i have had my wiring looked at and insulated (at great expense) but still a popping is occurring. however it doesnt happen if i touch more than one metal part. have you found a solution? my problem is not scratch plate static related as i do not have one on my bc rich. i have noticed a unnearthed sound coming from the bridge pickup when placing my finger on it....perhapse our pickups are playingups? i desperately need a solution! thanks to anyone that can help

ReplyQuote