Notifications
Clear all

Popping Pins

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@caitedid)
Topic starter  

I'm hoping someone can tell me whether or not this is a problem...  On occasion, a bridge pin on my guitar will slide part way out.  Is this going to be a problem, or should I just shove them back in and forget about it?

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Give the ball end of your strings a little bend about 1/2 inch up before you stick them in.  The ball end is supposed to latch onto the bridge plate underneath.  If the pins are lifting, it isn't securely attached.

ReplyQuote
(@caitedid)
Topic starter  

Great, thanks...  Do you know where I might be able to find more general info about how the whole thing is put together?  I'm kinda afraid of taking mine apart, because I can't afford to pay someone to put it back together  ;D

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Take it apart??  What?  Dont do that if you dont know what you are doing.  Just get a little hand mirror and shine a flashlight in there.  When you're restringing next time put a little bend in the string near the ball thing.  About where nick said.  That should work for you.  

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Great, thanks...  Do you know where I might be able to find more general info about how the whole thing is put together?  I'm kinda afraid of taking mine apart, because I can't afford to pay someone to put it back together  ;D

If you're just curious about what things look like inside the guitar, check the photos here:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/pagelist.html

Great photos on the link for restringing a steel string guitar.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@storymwstring)
Eminent Member

Is now having flashbacks to the first string change   :o

My 3rd guitar never gave me any problems with popping, but my 4th gave me some popping issues.  I put on safety glasses and just held the pins in while turning the pegs.  After the strings were tight, the pins stayed in, I guess due to the tension and angle.

Before the first string change, what i did was to  go slowly, rehearsing several times before the main event.  In other words, I practiced before making the actual change.  The information available on the net is invaluable, especially the pictoral information.

Let us know how the change came out.

Enjoy the day

Steve

How come you fret the guitar upside down?
I just want to play all day

ReplyQuote