Clear all

pots

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@wtsamatta)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I recently replaced the tone and volume pots in my epi les paul with cts 500k audio tapers. I wired it 50's style with independent volume controls. Now the tone pots, when turned to just about 10, kill the sound. They work fine down to 0. Is this normal?

Thanks for the help good peeps!! :mrgreen:

Anger and sadness are easy....Happiness and passion takes effort

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Now the tone pots, when turned to just about 10, kill the sound. They work fine down to 0. Is this normal?

Nope, not if it's wired right.
can you link to the wiring diagram you used?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

If I understand your description correctly, you have mirror imaged the wiring on the pots -- that is mixed up the outer contact connections on the pots. not only will this reverse the pot action (full clockwise is "off" instead of "max"), but on an audio taper pot, the attenuation-to-angle (rotation) setting will be very wrong. if this is the case, simply swap the outer connections on each pot (middle stays the same!) to fix it.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@wtsamatta)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ugh....I found the problem.... :roll: ...For some reason, I had added and extra wire to this diagram. I ran a wire from each volume pot to its respective tone pot. For what reason, I don't remember....I may have been looking at the seymour duncan wiring diagram at the same time, because it does have the wire from vol to tone pot. I removed those wires and everything is OK. It is my first time giving this a stab. hopefully no harm done! I used some of the old epi wiring from the switch and the input jack, but I do have some proper shielded wire and a new switch on the way.

this is the wiring diagram that I used

thanks for the replies guys. Got me to open 'er up again and see what I did wrong.

Anger and sadness are easy....Happiness and passion takes effort

ReplyQuote