Notifications
Clear all

Problem with my new JAckson Kelly KE-3

13 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@deathsdoor42191)
Topic starter  

I just got a new Jackson Kelly KE-3 and I have a problem with the floyd rose Tremolo. Whenever I go to use the trem, it doesn't go back to how it was, it stays slightly knocked out of tuning until I push it the other way then it goes back to the correct tuning. Just wondering if anyone has had simmilar problems or if anyone knows how to fix this.

(@afterblast)
Estimable Member

are your frettlocks tightened all the way? thats about the only thing I can think of

wherever you go, there you are.

ReplyQuote
(@deathsdoor42191)
Topic starter  

Fret locks are the locks on the nut right (I'm actually complety new to this locking system)

ReplyQuote
(@deathsdoor42191)
Topic starter  

Yea, my locks are tightened completly, it's more like the bridge is like sticking when I push it.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN

It may be that the springs are not adjusted correctly. Look at the book that came with it as it should explain how to get the springs at the right tension to level the bridge.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@deathsdoor42191)
Topic starter  

There was no book that came with it.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

There was no book that came with it.
Try the Jackson site then. They should have something or search the Internet for floyd rose and I bet you find something

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@deathsdoor42191)
Topic starter  

That's kinda why I came here is cause I couldn't find anything

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Here are 3 good ones out of the "Results 1 - 10 of about 436,000 for floyd rose trem" results I got searching google on "floyd rose trem". Hope they help.

http://www.vintagekramer.com/parts6.htm

http://www.floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/floydrosetremolo.htm

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@deathsdoor42191)
Topic starter  

Thanks a lot, I'm seriosuly liking this whole site, it's very helpful all around.

ReplyQuote
(@bobthunder)

Ok , let me see if I can help. But I need some info. Are you using standard tuning? When you tune the guitar, is the trem level when you get it intune? Meaning, you have to look at it from the side to really see. If it's not level then your going to have to make some spring tension adjustments.

ReplyQuote
(@2belated)

I have a KE-3. That bridge HAS to be perfectly level with the body with the strings tuned to pitch.

When I first got the Kelly, it was my first "Rose type" bridge. It's not a Rose. It's a liscensed copy of that bridge. Some say it's not a very good one.

That said, I have no real problems with mine. It took a while to get it right. When I first set it up, I left the spring cover off of the back so that I could tweak it until it was right. I have mine set up with 10's. It came with 9"s.

I personally think it's a good idea to learn how to do it yourself, but you may want to take it to a luthier and watch him adjust the springs, to get the correct tension. It's not a big deal really.

I usually leave my locking nut loose for a day to make sure that most of the stretch is out of the strings.

Once the springs are set for string gauge and tuning choice, you shouldn't have to mess with the springs again, unless you change string SIZE. Mine has been great since I got it about 2 years ago.

There are some good instructions at the Floyd Rose site and at the Jackson site.

Again. Perfectly level is the trick with that bridge.

BTW, I love the Japanese Kelly. It's a real nice player, and as good as many more expensive guitars that I have or have had. I'm keeping mine.

ReplyQuote
(@dimebag)
Eminent Member

i own a dean ml with a 9licenced0 floyd rose on it!if the gauge or indeed string tension changes,the springs are gonna stretch/shrink more,if you take your backplate off you will find 3 springs,towards the neck end there is a metal plate,all you gotta do is; bomb string tension out completely,tighten the two screws EVENLY to bring the bridge back or loosten to bring it forwards.it takes a while to get right and level.

be good :twisted:

"forever stronger than all"

dimebag darrell[rip]

ReplyQuote