Clear all

Problems with amp and B and high E strings

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@reeve)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys, new guy to electric here, but I'm having some troubles with my dad's Strat. Every other string is played fine by the amp, except for the top 2 strings. They sound just fine physically (sans amp), but the sound won't go through the amp for those 2. Everything else goes through normally, and the 2 problematic ones get a little better when i fool with the pickup switch, but they still are only 10% of what they should sound like. Anyone know what I should do to get these to work?? Thanks in advance,

reeve.

p.s. sorry if this is a repost but i searched and couldn't find anything similar, and if you need any more info about what's going on I could find it out.

Well, I've had some requests, but I'm going to play anyway.

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

It sounds like the pickups may be too low on the treble side.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I think Paul is right. It sounds like the pickups may be way too far from the strings. Go to my page linked below and look at the setup page for reference to pickup height adjustments.

It would seem odd that all the pickups went bad at the same time so it may be something as simple as pickup height. If the guitar has been sitting awhile (think you said it was your fathers) it might be worth going through a complete setup to check out all adjustments. You can at least go through the checking steps on my page and if anything is off you could take it to a shop for adjustments.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I've never really thought about pickup height before, and I've been getting a bit bored with the sound of my old electric. I'm going to go home and wave a screwdriver around

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

The trick is to adjust pickups for tone or hotness. You'll get less output when you lower them, more when you raise them, if you get them too close to the strings you'll get magnetic interference with the strings.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@reeve)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

It would seem odd that all the pickups went bad at the same time so it may be something as simple as pickup height. If the guitar has been sitting awhile (think you said it was your fathers) it might be worth going through a complete setup to check out all adjustments. You can at least go through the checking steps on my page and if anything is off you could take it to a shop for adjustments.

Yeah it has been sitting around for about 4-5 years.

Thanks for the info guys, but apparently my dad by coincidence just took it into the shop this morning to get figure out whats goin on, so we'll see officically what happend and if they can fix it, I'll reply back here later tonight with the info if it gets back by then.

Well, I've had some requests, but I'm going to play anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Could also have some misalignment so those strings aren't right over a pole piece.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote