Clear all

pup change question

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@130unstopablewatts)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

So I got an Eng 81 for the bridge position on my LP copy solderless super easy install the question is the wireing for my passive neck the pup goes to volume then tone then out of volume to the Eng buss thing do I ground the passive volume to the bridge or elimenate that ground because of the active pup I'm using with it. I think I have the right way as I descibded any help would be greatly appreciated I have the led rythym switch hooked up and it works just don't have a neck pup to switch too

Its 109 miles to chicago

(@130unstopablewatts)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Edit I meant EMG 81 pup

Its 109 miles to chicago

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Mixing active and passive pups can be done, but it requires a little bit of extra work. More than just rerouting a ground wire, anyway.

From EMG's site:
Can I mix EMG's with passive pickups?

It is possible to mix EMG's with passive pickups. There are three possible wiring configurations; one is better than the other two.

Use the high impedance (250K-500K) volume and tone controls. The problem is that the high impedance controls act more like a switch to the EMG's. The passive pickups, however, will work fine. If you have a guitar with two pickups and two volume pots, with a three-way switch, there is another alternative. Use the 25K pots for the EMG, and the 250K pots for the passive pickup. This way you can use one or the other with no adverse affects, but with the switch in the middle position the passive pickup will have reduced gain and response.

Use the low-impedance (25K) volume and tone controls provided with the EMG's. The problem here is that the passive pickups will suffer a reduction in gain and loss of high-frequency response.

This is the best alternative. Install an EMG-PA-2 on the passive pickups. There are two benefits to doing this. With the trimpot on the PA-2, you can adjust the gain of the passive pickups to match the EMG's. The PA-2 acts as an impedance matching device so you can use the low-impedance EMG controls (25K) without affecting the tone of the passive pickups. You will also be able to use other EMG accessory circuits such as the SPC, RPC, EXB, EXG, etc. For this application, we recommend ordering the PA-2 without the switch for easy installation on the inside of a guitar.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

If you haven't already, you can ground your neck volume to the bridge, or to anything that is grounded to the bridge. It's a little tricky in a clone. Gibsons have a metal plate in the control cavity that becomes a central ground, and I've had earlier models with a ground tang in the middle, for want of a better name. I never get ground loops, which is a bad thing - I avoid them, so don't even personally know what they are. :shock:

Anyways, I've been chastised for pot to pot grounds sometimes, but never had an issue - really, they aren't needed all the time, and you can ground direct to bridge.

With one or more EMG's, we used to require a jack with 2 ground lugs, one for the battery - I guess that EMG has revised or outdated that now with new ideas.

I know that they offer good support, and should have diagrams and FAQ's on their site. Yes, the pot value issue in reply above is a good one, that you should heed.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@130unstopablewatts)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I called EMG tech support I was told I could hook it up not grounded or with a ground either way I was worried cause it says not to ground the EMG stuff to the bridge as far as the pots go I can use my 500k pots for the passive side and the 25 for the active I will have an issue with gain differences between the two but I'm gonna deal with it since I don't have another hundred bucks at the moment to spend on an EMG 85

Its 109 miles to chicago

ReplyQuote