Clear all

Put a jack on the output cable

12 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@extnguisher)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've been shielding my guitar. I'm not finished yet, but already thinking how to put it all back together. :? And I had an idea. I want to put a jack on the cable that goes from the output jack to the volume control, so I can easily remove the pick-guard every time I need to open the guitar without cutting any wires and soldering them back again later. I want to put a small mono jack - the same size you have on Diskmans and stuff. Is it allright? Like, is it gonna affect sound quality, add some noise or dull the sound. I don't think it will, but then again I don't know much about this stuff. It seems like a very convenient feature. I'd like to hear your opinion.

hh83
(@hh83)
Trusted Member

no, shouldnt affect a thing.. but be careful and get a tight jack, or you will be opening the guitar to tape the jack in by the end of the week..

Never call a shovel "an ingenious hole-digging instrument"

ReplyQuote
(@extnguisher)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok, thanks.

I was also thinking as an option to have the ground wire connected to the foil that shields the guitar instead of the volume control. The volume control is touching the same foil with the metal that the ground wire should be connected to. So, could that be an option? Would leave only one wire for me to connect then...

ReplyQuote
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member

I believe for it to truely sheild it you may need to ground the foil. But do not let the non-ground wires or leads touch the foil or ground wire then... that would make a short and do bad things you your amp and guitar electronics.

Good luck
Bstguitarist
KB1LQC

No matter what anyone says, these four men were the Innovators! of modern Rock & Roll!

Morse Code... Music on it's own

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I probably woudn't use a mono jsck for the job, I'd probably use a different sort of plug that would take up less space inside.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Normally, I don't recommend gold plated connectors, but this application almost begs for it: low current, AC signal and typically inaccessible. Whatever you choose, try to get gold on both sides of the connector.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

You could get shielded male/female connector at Radio Shack. Solder the wires into each end and pop it apart every time you need to

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Normally, I don't recommend gold plated connectors, but this application almost begs for it: low current, AC signal and typically inaccessible. Whatever you choose, try to get gold on both sides of the connector.

In fact, I wouldn't bother if you can't get gold for both. You'll just increase the risk of corrosion if you pair gold with a different metal.

You should be able to get connectors that don't need soldering.

ReplyQuote
 hh83
(@hh83)
Trusted Member

the connectors that are soldered take up less space and is a whole
lot more reliable than the ones that are not.

if you can solder of course:D

Never call a shovel "an ingenious hole-digging instrument"

ReplyQuote
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member

exactly hh83, hey if you need to know how to make a really good solder just ask, there are many people here that know how to solder and have done it a lot, including me but I havent been able to get to the comp much lately so just ask and some one will post.

Bstguitarist
KB1LQC

No matter what anyone says, these four men were the Innovators! of modern Rock & Roll!

Morse Code... Music on it's own

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

In fact, I wouldn't bother if you can't get gold for both. You'll just increase the risk of corrosion if you pair gold with a different metal.

You should be able to get connectors that don't need soldering.

Exactly, Paul. I should have emphasized both sides, as well as both signal and ground for this reason. I prefer to use gold header pins and sockets made for PCB mounting for things such as this, but most people won't want to bother with all the careful soldering and heat shrink tubing required for a good job.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@extnguisher)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I already got myself 2mm jack and already put it in place. It works just fine. Hope it will go on in this way.
Thanks to everyone for their input.

ReplyQuote