Clear all

Putting New Neck On

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@fah-q)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

So im building this strat knock off and finally got my neck today. The thing about this neck is that the part that goes into the pocket is to tall. Would it be better to route out the body, route off the neck, or is it not even possible to get this to work? I'll get pics as i probably did not explain this clearly.
Thanks

(@ririzarry)
Eminent Member

Pics would definitely be helpful. Does the neck fit the pocket correctly otherwise?

Regards,

Rob

Building the Ergonomic Guitar

Guitar Designs. Ergonomics. Guitar Making.

ReplyQuote
(@fah-q)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yes it fits perfectly. The best way to describe it is that the fretboard is to high because the 'heel' of the neck is to thick and so it sits tall. Im thinking im going to route the back of the neck out but am concerned about hitting the truss rod. Is that going to be a factor here?

ReplyQuote
(@mr-nobody)

i had a similar situation with a replacement neck. i used a hand held sander thingie and sanded the heel down, and it seemed to work. not sure if it ended up perfectly even, because now, even with truss adjusting, strings are way too high towards the 12th fret (and still buzzing on the 1st few). but it was only like, 1 or 2 mm of sanding down. i didnt hit the rod, so i think itd be safe to say, as long as its not too much of a trim, itd probably be ok. but then again, i'm no expert. oh, and this neck was gibson style, not strat style. that could be an issue too.

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

I would shave the neck down if it is not too much thicker. Say, less than an eighth of an inch.

Any more than this then I would think about routing the body cavity.

My reasoning is that necks are usually more expensive than bodys. Also, necks are more sensitive to warping at the heel when they are thin.

It's easier to shave a neck than to rout a body, but much better to rout the body.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote