Quick question

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Is there a torque limit for a tuning peg nut? Or is it just, “not too much” and at the same time “but just enough” type of thing?

Thank you,

Mike

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Hey Mike

I always go hand tight then a half turn. Basically just snug enough but the worse that happens if the washer digs in a little.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I figured that, thank you Nils.

My new Schecter had a bit of the Open E buzz blues. So, I tracked it down to the tuning peg washer. I threw a quick wrench on it and the problem was solved. Then I thought, I wonder if there is a spec. for this?

I'm thinking that either the nut got loose or when it was screwed on, the machine or person hit a burr on the post and it/they thought it was done. I'm thinking the later because there wasn't any slack on any of the nuts.

Funny though, almost all the strings went sharp on me after I tightened all the screws. :?

Thank you,

Mike

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Funny though, almost all the strings went sharp on me after I tightened all the screws. :?

Mike
That will happen because when you tighten the nuts or screws it pulls the post more upright which means it is pulling the strings more towards the headstock.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Now that you say it, you're right.

I thought it would go flat because the head (if at all) would go up, thus making slack BUT, I forgot to take in the angle of the headstock.

It's all becoming clear to me now, thank you! :D

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@manitou)
Estimable Member

Yeah mike, those tend to loosen up on guitars that are played a lot, ive never bought a used guitar and had the tuning nuts be tight. I wonder if its from being restrung having tension on and removed wiggling the nuts free? I would try a little locktite, just a TINY bit of the removable stuff... Ill try it so you dont ruin yer axe and let you know hehe.

SHUT UP ABOUT IRON MAIDEN SOLOS AND GO PRACTICE!
-Manitou

ReplyQuote