Quiet 'E' string

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@rob77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

G'Day,
Can anyone suggest an optimum distance between strings & pick-up poles? The problem being that my high 'e' string seems quiet sometimes & I was led to believe that putting the pole closer to the string will make it louder, but too close will kill the sustain? Or is it an internal problem with the pick-up? It's a D'Armond 2000 on "Christine", my Grestch 5125. Thanks for any advice! :D

"Who says you can't 'dive bomb' a bigsby?!"

mess
(@mess)
Eminent Member

One thing I've heard is that having a single coil pickup pole too close to the string will make your strings detune sharp. I don't know if this holds for humbuckers.

I know that's hardly any help but I'm at least trying to throw you something. I'm assuming you checked D'Armond's website for setup info?

ReplyQuote
(@rob77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks - happy getting any info I can use now or later:)
I'll check the website & see if I can find it. I've lowered it from standard height because after getting it (professionally) set up where I liked the action, the low 'E' would actually contact the pick-up from time to time!!!! So now I just need to adjust the poles to their optimum height.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

you have a totally cool guitar. I have played one. it was so smooth.
it sounds like you need a set up and pup height adjustment. a string should never hit a pickup.
my old strat has very close action. I am amazed I never buzz out.
there are several adjustments on your Gretch; both bridge and pup.
I think a nice humbucker would be cool for your bridge pup.I don't remember what Gretch had back there.
Seymour Duncan has a new humbucker.
another idea would be a P90.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rob77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I had it set-up by a professional & it didn't hit when he played it...I guess he wasn't playing rockabilly!!!
I've since remedied that & it doesn't hit now.
Anyway I use a different luthier now who's more in tune with my needs & we were contemplating a couple of P90's...well 3 actually. Still tyring to decide on that issue, but I've adjusted the poles to the same height at the neck pick-up (which works fine) maybe its an internal problem with the pickup itself....

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've got my semihollow Agile with P-90s set up with 1/8" string clearance at the bridge, 3/16" at the neck. The pole pieces are level, about the same height on bass and treble sides. They're hot with this spacing, and that's as close as I'd go.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@rob77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the numbers Ricochet, I'll adjust mine the same & go from there. Its a good way to start, I think.

ReplyQuote