Notifications
Clear all

Refret or replace neck??

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@poorotis)
Topic starter  

Frets are worn out on a 86 Charvel model series 3..I live a hour away from anywhere..and GS wants $400 for a re-fret!!
Would You refret the origional neck or replace it with a new neck? If I go the new neck route will the guitar still play the same...or?? Need opinions. Thanks.

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

$400? I don't think that has a bound fretboard or anything else tricky about it - it sounds like it's priced high by at least $150. Given the choice, I'd go with a new neck - but I'd also find a more reasonable shop.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

Normally I'd say re fret. Normally a re fret for a model neck should run you $90 - $150 bucks. A new neck would run you nearly $400 to get an equal neck shipped. There are tons of model necks on ebay all the time for around $175. The problem really is; are you going to get a good 20 year old neck, can you sell your old one? a model 3 is only worth... ? Not a lot even though thay are AWESOME guitars with amazing necks. See if you can't find some one to send the neck out to - I have a guy here who will do it (Upstate New York) for cheap plus shipping obviously - if not Fret Puller are $20 fret nippers $20, fretts $20 and files for $50.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

If you do it yourself, you'll also need a steel straightedge.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

or a piece of glass, And a hammer, and a cull, and tape, and clamps, and a fret bender, and sand paper and glue... not a hard job if you have the right tools - find someone to do it for you.

ReplyQuote
(@poorotis)
Topic starter  

Normally I'd say re fret. Normally a re fret for a model neck should run you $90 - $150 bucks. A new neck would run you nearly $400 to get an equal neck shipped. There are tons of model necks on ebay all the time for around $175. The problem really is; are you going to get a good 20 year old neck, can you sell your old one? a model 3 is only worth... ? Not a lot even though thay are AWESOME guitars with amazing necks. See if you can't find some one to send the neck out to - I have a guy here who will do it (Upstate New York) for cheap plus shipping obviously - if not Fret Puller are $20 fret nippers $20, fretts $20 and files for $50.

Thanks for all the info..I'm going to do some checking in getting the origional neck re fretted through one of the shops in Garland or Dallas,Tx..I'm on a fixed income so I need the best job for the bucks! I understand what your saying about buying a older neck off ebay..and I don't like that idea..can't tell what you get till it arrives at the door. The son-in -law found replacement necks for Jackson/Charvel type guitars on line through Guitarpartsonline.com for $80 plus ship..but I have no idea of the quality of these necks..and I found a Jackson..electrical not working at a pawn shop here in town..but there I go again..if its worth it or not to buy it for parts..when I'm done with the old Charvel it will be..more or less..a Frankenstrat..lil bit of this and that..and thats what I end up with!
Thanks..Respects

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

Old thread. The dragonfire necks as you mentioned on guitarpartsonline.com are well regarded by the jackson/charvel forum guys. My only issue is they don't have a dot inlay like the model 3 so it kind of changes the look pretty drastically - the unassuming dots of the models and san dimas's is why I have them - I wouldn't shell out that kind of cabbage if they had sharky fins, sounds weird but the guys I play with would tear me up for that.

ReplyQuote