Notifications
Clear all

Repair deep chip in Ibanez body (back)

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@bswb97)
Topic starter  

I've just inherited an Ibanez Ergodyne 605 bass. Tone and action are great; the only problem is a deep chip (down to the wood) about 1/2 inch across the back. It's fairly inconspicuous, so I wanted to do a patch job myself on it.

I've read about fixing body chips by using lacquer and sanding it smooth. This is a little deeper, so I wanted to see what I could do till the hole first before applying lacquer. Can I just fill it with an epoxy, then lacquer over it and sand it?

The body is a chocolate brown matte finish and the chip is in the back. Because of its location, I don't mind it not being perfect in terms of color, I'm more concerned about it being a protective band aid.

Thanks!

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Yes, you can try a good epoxy, sand and paint as you have predicted you might do. I have done it, it works.

I won't vouch for real lacquer, which sometimes melts enamel. Try to find what Ibanez actually used on the bass. Ibanez themselves, or Jemsite will help you with that.

However, you should use a little primer, because the epoxy is more slippery and dense than it is porous, and maybe use an acrylic finish.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote