Clear all

Replacement trees and nut

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

How important is it for me to replace my string trees and nut? Im thinking about getting some graphtech ones from Guitar Center or Musicians friend but I dont wanna spend the money if its not going to do much, since m trying to save up for an epiphone. Please help me. :!:

No matter what anyone says, these four men were the Innovators! of modern Rock & Roll!

Morse Code... Music on it's own

(@guitarmonkey)
Eminent Member

Yeah i dont know either. I have a cheapy strat copy from a pawn shop and it is missing a nut. but i will have to get a new one when i get a job. so i doubt i will replace it as it is fine. but what do they do anyway? Just make it easier to put strings on. do they lower the strings to the tuners height. thats's my guess.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

If the ones on there aren't broke of missing I would just leave them. Anytime you change anything on a guitar or amp will it have some effect on the sound or tone. How much will greatly depend on what was changed. I don't see spending the money on them at this time, money better spent would for a tube amp or an Equalizer. If your looking to improve your sound.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

The string trees (not nut, it would be very hard to play without one of those) hold the strings down so that they don't pop out of the slots in the nut. They aren't really necessary for the middle strings, but the one on the high E helps a lot. The increased angle from the nut probably makes the strings sound tighter. Changing them won't change the sound much. The nut affects the sound much more, but only on open strings. When you fret a note, the nut won't affect it. If you're getting a new guitar pretty soon anyway, I wouldn't recommend bothering with either.

ReplyQuote
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I just pushed myself to actually get a music book today and some lemon oil for the first time. well the book is great! but man did the oil help. I had dirt like a ****** comming off the fretboard. Just think of this. it's from 1996 and has never had anything besides being rubbed with a cloth. and it is heavily played. so its looking pretty good now.
Se I love this guitar. even if I ever get a gibson or lol a PRS i would never give this one away. it feels so natural to me because I have started from the very beginning with it. Im jsut trying to see If I can upgrade it so it sounds much better (Not that it doesnt sound pretty dam good for a squire) than it does. And I have been thinking about getting an all tube amp but I would much rather have the new guitar first. I just wish I could get a job.

Guitar monkey, how are you playing without a nut? do you mean a string tree?

No matter what anyone says, these four men were the Innovators! of modern Rock & Roll!

ReplyQuote
(@guitarmonkey)
Eminent Member

doh *hits self in head* yeah i am missing the lower strings tree. not the nut.

ReplyQuote
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

yeah just checking lol. gues you would have to be a nut to play without a nut.

ReplyQuote
(@guitarmonkey)
Eminent Member

yeah very true

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Okay, bstguitarist, since you're planning on keeping that guitar for a while, a nut upgrade might be worth it. I don't believe it's all that expensive to have done, so you might try it if the open strings sound worse than fretted notes. I know how you feel about that guitar, I feel the same way about my Squier.

ReplyQuote
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah thanks, the thing is that I really dont like spending money since I want an epiphone relly badly. So mabye if I get a job ill get one but im tryihng so hard to so im hoping I get one.

ReplyQuote