Clear all

Restringing acoustic and string brands

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@subparguitar)
Topic starter  

Hey all,

I just broke a string and I'm trying to work my way back into guitar. I have an acoustic Seagull S6 http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seagull-The-Original-S6-Acoustic-Guitar-104069091-i1147556.gc (great guitar for the price) and I need to know what some good strings are for the style.

I do some finger picking and some pick work, so a nice medium style would probably be good for me, but I don't even know where to begin looking. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Also, it's been years since I've tried to restring a guitar, so if you have any helpful reminders, please let me know!

(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

A guitar store would be a good place to start looking. Buy inexpensive strings.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/stringing-an-acoustic-guitar.html

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Hi, subpar,

Lots of good strings, it really comes down to a matter of personal preference. I have the same guitar so I thought I'd offer my 2 cents. I've tried many others, but I always end up back with Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys. Not expensive, durable and a nice warm tone without being boomy.
Welcome!

Edit: Oops, meant Regular not Super...

Don

ReplyQuote
(@pilot)
Estimable Member

The Acoustic Regular Slinky strings that boxboy suggested are pretty good, I've used them before myself. D'Addario also makes excellent strings at decent prices. If you want a little more string life, the Elixir line offers polymer coated strings that last quite a bit longer that uncoated, but they lack the really bright tone that a good set of phosphor bronze strings gives. I personally use Elixir, only because I don't play my acoustic nearly as much as my electrics, and they still sound good enough to make me happy. I've had the same set on mine for a little over a year and I'm just now ready to change them. Your mileage may vary and all that. :)

Strings are a very personal choice, and you'd do well to try a few different brands to see what you like the most.

As far as help with restringing - plugging "restring guitar" into Youtube's search box will generate more results that you'll even know what to do with. :)

ReplyQuote
(@subparguitar)
Topic starter  

Great thanks for the help, I went with the D'Addario mediums, and it sounds great. Restringing has always been more of a mental battle for me, I got slapped in the face once when trying to restring when I was younger and have never been the same haha.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

You could also consider the "Silk & Steel" strings. They are not last forever but while they are fresh they have a nice, mellow tone.

For changing strings, IMO Justin Sandercoe has the best video: http://youtu.be/bBEM6R4ITCA

ReplyQuote
(@cliff277)

If anybody lives local to Oceanside, I went to Dusty's Guitar Kingdom while I was down there, and he was one of the most helpful people I've ever been to.

ReplyQuote