Clear all

Saddle groove

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@daven)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I noticed the other day that the E & B strings seemed to be too close on my acoustic-electric and found the B string was in a groove on the saddle. I've been doing a bit of research to see what I could do to repair it but info is a little sketchy. It seems, sand and polish or replace are the options but I can't find any "how to" on the sand and polish option. This guitar has a piezo pickup and a compensated saddle.
Can I sand and polish just the that part of the saddle? The radiused top would make it hard to sand the whole thing easily and evenly.
For sandpaper I'm guessing 800 or 1200 wetdry type but what would you polish it with?
Am I just better off ordering a new saddle.
I'd take it to someone for repair but it is my only guitar (need to remedy that) and the nearest music shop is 60 miles. I haven't found any place closer that repairs guitars.

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

this is a classic nut slot fix that may work for you - really depends upon the saddle material. bone, ceramic or very hard plastic are best:

use a mixture of cyanoacrylate (superglue) and baking soda to fill the slot. because of the fast setting time, it may be easiest to fill the slot with the baking soda, packing loosely, then wick in some thin superglue. alternatively, use a gel (thickened stuff) superglue and premix it with the baking soda. dap that in the slot. much like painting, it's better to do 2 or 3 light applications to build up the area -- dropping in one big blob is nasty. when you've got enough in place, shape it with a small file.

gotta work quickly and cleanly from the very first time, so practice on a piece of plastic first.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@daven)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'll give it a try when I next change strings. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

you're welcome. let us know the result -- good or bad or so-so.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@daven)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

To follow up on this. After I loosened the B string and moved it to the correct location and retuned I had no problem. The string did not move out of position or back into the groove. So I decided to leave it alone until it causes a problem. I did start to notice a buzz on open strings especially noticable when tuning and with a little inspection found that the string grooves in the nut were too wide for the 10's I had on the guitar. I switched back to some 12's I had on hand and the problem disappeared. I was worried about switching to the heavier strings but I like the sound better and my fingers are holding up fairly well though they get a little sore after about an hour and a half of playing.

ReplyQuote